2000 windstar won't turn over.

Asked by Nov 30, 2013 at 02:35 PM about the 2000 Ford Windstar SE

2000 windstar won't turn over.  New Battery & starter, checked the Relays & fuses all good. Starter energizes but wont turn over.

72,345

Sounds like the motor is locked. Have you been losing coolant? If so, one or more of the cylinders may have coolant in it. HTH. -Jim

335

it is possible to get bad starter from parts store been there did that

145

guessing only makes the problem seem bigger than it really is, try a jumper to the ignition wire just after the ignition switch put a 12 volt push button switch.remove .the same wire that runs to the pos. node of the from starter solinode. turn the key and push the button if that works it could be a bad ignition switch, test the voltage at the wire that is now unplugged if the voltage is normal when the key is turned to the run position but the starter cranks with a jumper.then its probably going to be the neutral safety switch. this being jumped wont interfere with the running of the vehicle.however you are bypassing a safety feature designed to keep a vehicle either automatic or manual from starting in gear. if this set up doesnt pose a particular threat i,d use it until such time as you replace the starter.which could be????ever. to be sure though i would use a digital multi meter and start back probing from the starter to the ignition, use the ignition coil mounting bracket for your ground lead, check for constant voltage and voltage in the run possiton, it can ce done alone but having a helper turn the key while youre testing is easy and cheaper. i advise strongly to remove the ignition relay switch located in the under the hood fuse block there is genrally a blank spot to move the fuse to. doing this will keep the engine from starting while testing. hope that helps or at least opens the door a little wider in finding your trouble, since you cant disconnec tthe n.b.t. ,beware not to short any wires with your meter probes. twenty years ago id say use a screwdriver, keep in mind what youre probing a short,even a little one can fry alot of costly parts. sorry about the spelling not my forte. Good luck

100

You need to have your key reset for the security system. It's a pats key with a chip in it. Place your key in ignition and turn to on but do not go to start. Watch the security light, when the light stops flashing turn key to off position and then try to start.

90

Before resetting the key, make sure your mini fuses are good, 2 of my fuses was bad and it caused the theft system to blink fast and for the cat not to have any fire. I replaced mine and it cranked the first time, it should be one of the two by their self closest to the light or one on the left hand side of the fuse box, hope this helps!

90

I've tried all of the above and not one worked until the fuses was replaced

320

How do u find out if motor locked up on2000 Ford wind star

50

Dale,, thnx very helpful resetting key started the van....

190

Starter energizes but will not crank. We have a 2003 Windstar. Van was running, my brother turned it off & van would not crank...

10

Check fuel cutoff switchpst times it's that simple

70

I Stop at the store and when I got out tried to start it and it turned over slowly and battery went dead an it started to make a single click sound got a jump and turned over one or two times slowly and still making single click sound when I turn the key over but all the lights are still working can someone please help

I about had enough of trying figure out why my 2002 van would not crank after swooping my training I though I tried everything I was going to throw in the towel in tell watch a video on youtube with scanerdaner thr sane problem different car but I did what he did and found out my s post wire meaning ignition wire to solenoid was bad I rewired it and it cranked over hope this work for you I know how frustrating it might be