how do i know which car has a better resale value

Asked by May 29, 2017 at 12:07 PM about the 2017 Kia Sorento SX Limited V6 AWD

I am trying to decide which it the better suv. A 2017 Sorento SX or SXL or
the Highlander Limited, or Limited Platinum.
Someone asked it I had to resell it which has the better resale value.
So between the upper level Sorento or the upper level Highlander

Thank you

251,445

If you upgrade frequently, the Toyota would hold it's value longer.

2,025

Because the Highlander and Sorento are so new, reliability experts at J.D. Power have not yet released data that specifically relates to either model. With that said, J.D. Power's latest Vehicle Dependability Study, which rates overall manufacturers, places Toyota near the top of the list for reliability and Kia somewhere near the industry average. When it comes to warranty coverage, however, the Sorento easily trumps the Highlander. The Kia offers 5 years or 60,000 miles of bumper-to-bumper protection, compared to 3 years or 36,000 miles for the Toyota. The Sorento also touts 10 years or 100,000 miles of powertrain coverage, compared to 5 years or 60,000 miles for the Highlander. Those warranty numbers are compelling, but so is Toyota's higher rank in the Vehicle Dependability Study. Until J.D. Power releases specific scores for these models, this category is a draw.

2,025

The Sorento offers three engines. Base models use a 185-horsepower 2.4-liter 4-cylinder, which returns up to 21 miles per gallon in the city and 29 mpg on the highway. Drivers looking for more power can upgrade to a 240-hp 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder, which offers up to 20 mpg city/27 mpg hwy. Those who desire even more kick can opt for a 290-hp 3.3-liter V6, which returns up to 18 mpg city/26 mpg hwy. Meanwhile, the Highlander also offers three engines. Base models use a 185-hp 2.7-liter 4-cylinder, which touts up to 20 mpg city/25 mpg hwy. Most drivers will pick the 270-hp 3.5-liter V6, which boasts up to 19 mpg city/25 mpg hwy. Drivers who especially prioritize fuel economy, however, can go for the pricey Highlander Hybrid, which makes an impressive 280 hp thanks to a hybrid version of the standard V6 that returns 27 mpg city/28 mpg hwy. Our take: Gas-powered Highlander and Sorento models are fairly similar in terms of fuel economy, with the Sorento holding a very slight advantage over the Toyota. But for drivers who really want to increase their gas mileage, the Highlander Hybrid stands out above the Sorento -- and virtually all other competitors, too.

2,025

In crash testing carried out by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the Highlander and Sorento each earned a perfect 5-star overall score. Meanwhile, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety named the Sorento a Top Safety Pick, while the Highlander edged out its competitor and earned the firm's highest Top Safety Pick+ designation. The reason for the Highlander's better score is its automatic forward-collision braking system; the Sorento's forward-collision system merely warns drivers of an impending accident. Otherwise, these two models offer virtually identical safety equipment, with each touting lane-departure warning, a blind spot monitoring system, rear cross-traffic alert, side-curtain airbags and traction control with stability control. However, between the Highlander's advantage with the forward-collision braking system and the fact that it comes standard with a backup camera (which remains optional on the Sorento), it edges out the Kia in our safety category.

2,025

Technology When it comes to technology, the Sorento and the Highlander are roughly on par, largely because both SUVs were redesigned so recently. Indeed, both tout virtually the same level of safety equipment, as described above, along with a wide range of other cutting-edge comfort and convenience amenities. With that said, technology is another area where the Highlander once again has a slight advantage over the Sorento. Specifically, it offers a rear DVD player, automatic high beams, rain-sensing wipers and a heated steering wheel, none of which you can get in the Kia. The Highlander also offers 14 optional stereo speakers compared to the Sorento's 10. Although you have to opt for a high-end Highlander to experience the difference, the Toyota clearly has a leg up over the Kia in terms of tech

2,025

If you've followed along, you've probably noticed that the Highlander has beaten out the Sorento in most of our categories so far. That remains true until possibly the most important category: pricing. The 2016 Sorento starts at $26,100 with shipping, while the Highlander starts at $31,500. That price gap only expands as you go through the trim levels, with high-end versions of the Highlander Hybrid starting over $50,000 -- a difference of more than $8,000 compared to the top-end Sorento. The result? If you're looking to get the most bang for your buck, you'll want the Kia. Although it may not quite be better than the Highlander, it's certainly a better deal.

2,025

Kia is a better value.....bottom line....final answer

Thank you They all seem to be the same so it is very hard to pick the right SUV. I wish I could combine both of them. I was looking at the Pilot but I am concerned about the touch screen problems people are having. Very hard to manage. What is your take on them towing a 4500 GVW airstream. Can either of them do a good job towing or should I look at a heavier SUV

2,025

I would look at a heavier SUV for towing...my suggestion

2,025

Your 4500GVW will just increase over time...not reduce....we have new bar b que stuff....more kids or grandkids....all their associated stuff....etc etc......towing always puts a stress on a vehicle....so best to have a heavy duty SUV

1,260

a Toyota Limited would hold its value better, I've seen Sorentos depreciate rapidly, fact

2,025

Yes, but the maintenance cost on a Toyota is 3-4 x more than any other vehicle. Their mechanics are on a work target basis (like cops with a number of required tickets per month)....otherwise they are let go. Bought mom Toy's and Hondas for many years..... until she called me from a dealer crying that the bill was $7000+ I spoke to the mechanic and the service manager. All was safe w the car but they lost my trust They tried to nail my mom for 17 items that totaled $7000 + dollars to make his quota for the month After that I have only bought German and American. My friends ask me to accompany them to Toy dealer. Claim she needs new pads on her corolla.....I ask the service manage what percent of the pad is left...he says 3-4cm.....I ask how much life is remaining...he recommends changing pads. I refuse and take her car home. take off the brakes and see 50% of the pad remains.....I took a picture of a new pad and compared to her current pad. Those people don't make money on selling a truck//car....they make money on the maintenance to naiive people.

2,025

Here is an extensive article on all the crossover's and SUV's and the detail on how many pounds they can tow. Make your choice from this list: http://www.trucktrend.com/features/163-1203-crossovers-can-tow/

1,260

..when the repair estimate is high, get a second or third opinion

100

TOYOTA! HAVE A NICE DAY!

2,025

Toyota an Honda cheat... but that is your choice. They copy and charge 3 x more more service Your ego is buying Lexus (80% lowest price model) Or Acura ( Honda basic wheel base) Get an original car.... German or American Why would u want someone's copy?

1,260

all car companies cheat,lie,and dodge.. Toyota and Honda build great cars with good resale values

2,025

My second master's degree is in Technology management (MSTM). I visited Japan and Korea and Singapore. I found out how Toyota and Honda cheated thru their Agency of Industrial Science and Technology (JAIST). You have rose colored glasses on....dig deeper and see the real corporation. Why did the CEO of these corporations fly to Wash DC and apologize to Congress two years ago.....? Do u know? Because they cheated on a number of issues

2,025

Here is the President of TOYODA......crying before Congress in 2009 http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/03/business/global/03toyota.html

2,025

Toyota's Chief crys in Public for their culture of cheating Akio Toyoda... http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/transportation-jan-june10-toyota_02-25/

2,025

Toyota Chief Hammered by Lawmakers Despite Apology . 2010 http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/24/toyota-ceo-appear-house-committee.html

2,025

In the automotive industry, the Asian manufacturers are called "Fast Followers"....they are not innovators like the Germans and Americans....who pour Billions into Research and Development. They just wait until the Americans and Germans release a new car (new innovative technology) and buy one car. Drive it to their lab, take the entire car apart....take pictures and video, and then copy the new ideas for their own use......that is called cheating

2,025

Most self revealing is about those that buy a Lexus, Infiniti and Acura.....they are actually buying a vehicle that is built on the 'cheap' base $12,000 vehicle(s) in their production line and just "pimped' up with some amenities. Isn't that cheating their customers......? Why is there a big L on the front of the vehicle?

1,260

yup, american companies spend trillions in research and produce marvels like the Pinto,Vega,Gremlin,Cavalier, that drop in value before you buy them new. Lexus and Acura beat the Almighty Germans in their own game of luxury with electricals that work for the life of the car. Imitation is a form of flattery, the Datsun Z was far more reliable than the Jag it copied, the civic CRX did the Alfasud proud.. They bought the rotary engine from NSU from the silly Germans(for a song) and make it work. Mercedes stopped making real cars in the early 90's and unleashed electrical gizmos that did not stay working for long, the glorious C(rap) class, the M(inivan) like class . American companies settle for mediocrity, and all the Cadillacs are Opels .. Most "luxury" cars are a scam for silly people who pay for well concocted illusions, the same goes for so called SUVs (macho minivans/overpriced trucks) and crossovers (tall overpriced hatchbacks) ; and finally for all those people who cant wait for autonomous vehicles, they've been around for a while=they are called buses and trains ..

2,025

Interesting....my ex wife always deflected with emotion when she lost an argument....like you have. I have presented the facts and detailed articles on how the Asians have cheated. I have visited that country. I have gone to their technology centers. I have discussed in detail with their Senators and Congressmen. And you haven't left the state of rose colored glasses yet. Have you ever travelled outside the USA? Probably not. End of discussion for you have lost the argument///debate///discussion by having no facts Thank you sir...good night

1,260

..Darious, your Cavalier broke down AGAIN!!! should have bought that Pacer instead...

2,025

You should read more before you purchase a vehicle

10

This thread has a lot of misinformation. Kia Sorento Consumer Reports: 5* RELIABILITY. 5* user recommend/loved. 5* crash test. Sorento now has Automatic Emergency Braking so don't believe that "it only warns you but doesn't stop" nonsense. JD Power top rated for quaility. And here's what you may be interested in: Intellichoice 5 Year Resale value: 55% (same as Audi Q5 & Toyota Camry at 55%-- Mercedes is below 48%) I know the general conception is that Kias have low resale value, but that may no longer be the case if it's match with the Camry.