Shifting problems

20

Asked by Mar 07, 2015 at 07:59 AM about the 2000 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4WD

Hi, i hope you can help me. So i have the following problem; since two days ago i start
noticing that everytime i shift the gears in the truck cuts off, turning the truck on is not a
problem only when i shift the wears and it runs great after it gets the gear! What is
happening?

40,015

Standard or automatic?

20

Is Automatic @Reelin68

40,015

One of the most common failures that can cause this problem that I have seen before is the Torque converter solenoid (TCC solenoid).This solenoid can stay stuck on and cause the torque converter to stay locked up,this will cause the vehicle to stall whenever it is put into gear.The vehicle will start and run fine in park or neutral but will stall out as soon as it is put into gear.This is the most common failure that can cause this. Also a malfunctioning idle air control valve can cause this,if the valve isn't moving or responding to bump up the idle when put in gear it may cause the vehicle to stall out,the computer commands this valve to allow more air in to bump up the idle to compensate the load on the engine when put in gear,if it isn't moving or isn't moving fast enough the idle may be too low and could cause the engine to stall out. Also when the vehicle is put in gear the engine and trans move slightly under the hood,if there is a wiring harness that is chafed or cut into. it may be grounding out when the engine or trans moves and could be shorting out a component or computer which can cause a stall condition.The engine harness may need to be checked over to see if any wires are cut or damaged causing a short. The most common is the TCC solenoid as I have seen many of these fail on many of different vehicles.These listed above could be what is causing the failure and some ideas of what to check into. A completely failed torque converter that is permanently locked up can cause this as well,not as common but I have seen failed torque converters cause this and can be hard to diagnose.Sometimes they have to be removed from the transmission and checked into.