Loose Steering 2001 Rodeo

25

Asked by Oct 28, 2010 at 03:06 PM about the 2001 Isuzu Rodeo LSE

My Rodeo seems to have alot of play in the steering wheel.  Does anyone have any sugestions on repairing the issue?  I thought perhaps purchasing a steering stabilizer; however, I cannot find anyone who makes one for that year model.  Any help/insight would be great.  Thank you!

95

The stabilizer bar is custom made at your local 4X4 shop. But the problem is more then likely in your links, ball joints, steering arms, sway arm, ect, lift the front end up, turn the tire, by hand side to side, watch under the truck to see what the delay is, and you can find the problem easy.

10

Most vehicles, especially with tilt steering wheels have a couple of bolts in them which become loose over time. It is a bit of work but doable. I did it on my other vehicle (suburban) a year ago and it's nice and tight now. You will have to start by pulling off the air bag unit and work your way down from there. I think the bolts are just below the tilt section of the steering column. Good luck.

10

Of course, if your talking about while your driving, than the previous post would be more appropriate.

855

Check for play in your front end by locking the steering wheel and lifting one of the front tires off the ground, Try to manually wiggle the wheel side to side with the lifted wheel and observe how much it moves compared to the wheel still on the ground. If the wheels don't move or only move a little bit at the same time then your problem is likely the steering shaft. 99% of the time the problem is as simple as worn ball joints or tie rods. Anyone who drives an Isuzu off road will tell you the only weak point in Isuzu front ends are the wimpy little tie rods that come stock. Independent4x makes some really nice ones that are about three times as strong as the originals.

10

Pop your the hood and to ur right below some lines next to the belt ur going to c the steering wheel shaft, lock your steering wheel and go back to the front grab with both hands and spin it, it shoulndt have any play, if it does u need to replace it good luck... K.I.G.