I replaced alternator and battery and light stays on and no charging still. any thoughts?

5

Asked by Jul 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM about the 2000 Ford Taurus SE

385

Not well versed in Fords, but i'll try. Belt in good shape? Tensioner working properly(not worn)? Check with your local Ford dealer or service manual to see if it has a seperate voltage regulator. Knew a guy with an older Super Duty who had the same experience. Finally replacing the regulator solved his problem. Sorry, I'm only guessing here.

385

Also check your battery cables for good connection. You obviously don't want any white / yellowish buildup on the contacts.Check the cables for soundness by manually manipulating them to see if they are broken(corroded) internally. Had that happen to a friend with an older Bronco. Disconnect everything and give it a good cleaning with bbaking soda and water if there are any signs of corrosion. Replace a suspect cable as they are relatively cheap. Look into the voltage reg as well. Ask a trusted parts store or mechanic if they have a way to test it first. What's the "AO"/

350

I have seen numerous websites that offer only guesses at the problem. The same thing happend to me. After buying an altenator, a battery, having the new battery charged, having an Autozone and Oreillys Autoparts "associate" troubleshoot with the electronic device that checks the battery and the altenator, there was never resolution. I bought a $26 Chilton manual and read the wiring diagram for the charging system. After over $280 in parts, the only thing that needed to be replaced at the beginning was a 175 AMP fuse located on the passenger side of the MAIN fuse box located under the hood. Do not waste your time tracking wires, replacing the altenator, battery, or little fuses. FIRST, check this fuse. It solved the problem.

590

not getting no power from the alternator to the battery on a 2002 Ford Taurus alternator brand new

30

I know that 99 Taurus has 2 different size alternators. I had bought one from a junk yard and have had battery drainage problems. Check your vin # and match it to the type of alternator. My car is a U vin.

Tested alternator testing battery all was good. Took battery cable off one pole and did the hot to and each one the car keek running.

I had this problem. I checked the Mega fuse and it was good. Then I pulled out 3 black relays (all have the same numbers on them) from the under-hood fuse box. I cleaned under them and then I switched them around and put each in one of the other's places. The battery light on the dash is now off and the battery is charging. .