My 1991 infinity M30 has power to the coil but no spark coming out of it. what would cause this ?

Bob Clevesy

Asked by Dec 22, 2014 at 05:13 AM about the 1991 Infiniti M30 2 Dr STD Coupe

after the car died while driving it I found no spark out of the coil but I have power going to it. I replace the coil but still no spark out of it. can some one please give me some ideas on what would cause this in my infinity M30. thank you for your time and attention to my problem

Luis Ibanez

where did you buy it? Autozone? try to buy one at Advance Auto parts or Oreilly's. Actually you need to have ground in order the coil to work properly. if there's no ground, it can be a short on the wire, and if there 's no short on the wire, then its the PCM.

Check for a trigger signal at the coil, unplug the coil and put a test light between the connections, crank engine then test light should flash, if it don't then the ignition module is suspect especially if it has never been changed. These rigs are pre OBD 2 are can be rather finiky with engine control systems diagnosis, if you are not familiar with this system I would recommend that you take to a shop you trust. Parts on these can get expensive very fast, so you don't what to just start replacing parts with the hope you find the problem.