When #1 is TDC what would it measure? Outside plug hole to top of pistion.

Asked by Oct 02, 2016 at 05:47 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Scottsdale Standard Cab SB

89 Chevy K/1500 4.3 Z Lb4 tbi. No inticator trying
to get time perfect.

Damper Marks are 1:00 snd 4:00.

I have curved line on the timing chain cover.

20,935

Old schoolers stick their pinky in the spark plug hole and turn the motor over with a wrench and they feel it hit top, when it gets to the top then it starts to go down, So the trick is to stop turning it over just before it goes down, you can use something as a guide to put in it and mark it. Then turn it over and stop at that measurement. There is two top dead centers. One is compression stroke and the other is Exhaust stroke. Take a valve cover off to see which valve is open.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Is 1:00 and 4:00 right on my truck? I measured found center of to lines and it lines up with line on timing chain cover. Also i have an Accel small cap dizzy. Rotor tip on cap #1. It has an 8 on shaft and wheel. No #6 just the notch like an arrow. Wheel also has a B on it. It has 2 little holes on bottom big hole middle and hard to see but one under rotor between shaft and the part with the the wheel and stator. Ive been trying to get it perfect. Ill get to where the starter doesnt even spin. U bump key it starts. It may ping so i have to turn dizzy. Its just i have a performance cam roller rocker lifters headers exhsust pumps everything. I dont find it pulls any better then stock. At first u could here cam now u dont and not often but u will go somewhere jump down. Get in and it will fluid out to where u have to change plugs and oil. Had code 13 fixed it only found one o2. Changed iac it worked now it dont. Now light stays on to check engine and iac and flashes code 12. I wired my one wire alternator through stock plug. It had a brown wire. Wired up charging low. Well brown wire was dead. So i ran wire off ignition where my tach use to be. It works great now but not sure what else brown wire ties into and problems it could solve. Thank u.