Will compressed air from a can (like for computers) be strong enough to clean out the shavings after tapping my spark plug?

Asked by Jul 09, 2015 at 02:04 PM about the 1996 INFINITI I30 4 Dr STD Sedan

Hello everyone!

I need help with a couple questions that I thought you guys could help out with.

I have an infiniti i30 1996, I've had it for 3-4 years now and bought it used with 95k
miles.

So here's the story:

I drove my car from California to Houston Texas after fixing all the little things that were
wrong with it, I just didn't have time to replace the spark plugs because I didn't have an
extension long enough to reach down in. But the 2nd spark plug's ignition coil was all
black like it had oil/gasoline eating away at it. I just hoped it would make the drive.

It made the 26 hour drive non-stop with me and my friend just fine! Two days later I am
driving it and my engine starts violently shaking and the check engine light comes on
so I pull over a block from my house.

Basically the ignition coil was absolutely shattered on the 2nd spark plug and in piece
and my spark plug was loose and came out without screwing it (The threads on the
spark plug looked okay).

So I buy a new ignition coil and my new spark plugs. I'm replacing all of my spark
plugs when the spark plug wont thread in the 2nd spark plug hole. I turn it with my
hand and it kind of catches and then loosens up again.

I am 90% sure the threading on the engine is wrecked and I will need to repair the
threading with Helicoil (If this is not the case, please let me know).

So here are my questions:

1. Why did my spark plug come loose and destroy my ignition coil? (I'm guessing
someone screwed it in too tight before me)
2. Is it really the engine threading that is the problem? (these are my guesses)
3. When cleaning out the shavings from re-threading (tapping) I need the crankshaft
and pistons to be at TDC. What is the easiest way for me to get my pistons at Top
Dead Center? (Is it easy to access the crank shaft?)
4. Will compressed air from a can work to clean out the shavings?

Help and tips would be greatly appreciated!

109,605

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BTTur7Fk6k This should help with the plug problem...don't need the cylinder at TDC but bring it as close as you can. I would think you would need more air pressure to remove the shavings.