I have a 96 i30 the ecu was replaced the check engine light comes on only for a second when I start vehicle it won't come on if a code is triggered only with my scanner can I retrieve them

10

Asked by Aug 12, 2014 at 02:51 PM about the 1996 INFINITI I30 FWD

80,415

The ECU monitors engine and transmission functions. The check engine light will only come on if there's a fault with either the engine or transmission. Other trouble codes for antilock brakes, and body functions are stored in other computers and will not trigger the check engine light. HTH. -Jim

10

Js080816 I'm aware of that if there's a problem it will trigger the check engine light to come on I disconnected the maf sensor and the 02 sensor harnesses check engine didn't come on when I put my bod 2 scanner the codes were there but check engine light wasn't lit

80,415

Check the wiring harness connections at the ECU. The ECU turns on the light by providing ground to the bulb. When starting the bulb is grounded at the ignition switch. HTH -Jim

10

Js when I start the car check engine light comes on and turns off once the car turns over it doesn't so I know the bulb the working

10

If I disconnect the wire harness from ecu do I have to reprogram ecu

80,415

That's correct. When you turn the ignition the bulb receives ground from the ignition switch and the light comes on because of the "bulb check" feature. This has nothing to do with the ECU. When a fault occurs, such as unplugging a sensor, then the ECU provides the ground to the bulb and the light comes on. So the problem lies in the ground path from the ECU to the bulb on the dash. HTH. -Jim