Camshaft

Asked by Apr 03, 2016 at 11:41 AM about the 1992 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Silverado Extended Cab SB

I do carpenter work. Therefore I pull heavy
loads nearly everyday. Its about time to
rebuild the engine in my truck. Its a 350 5.7
liter all factory. What should I do to gain all
the horsepower I can for towing and speed
without boring the cylinders? I don't know
anything about cams or other parts that
improve prefomace.

98,395

As this is a computer controlled truck you have to be very careful about changing anything. You could go some higher compression pistons, just don't get crazy maybe some 9.5 to 1, you could go full roller cam, lifters and rocker arms, that will help with quicker RPM response, and of course have it balanced, then you could get a computer reprogramer for OBD1 system, superchips, bully dog something like that. If you looking for more bottom end out of the hole pulling power then change the rear end ratio, just remember the lower you go the quicker you will reach engine redline, I would say don't go any lower than 4.10 this will give you good pulling power but will limit top speed, and you can kiss you fuel mileage bye bye.

Thank you.It has .410 running gears now and really does OK pulling heavy trailers. I run 33" mud grip and in four high in the mud the engine won't turn em. Will a rv can help or is all this more trouble than its worth?

98,395

An RV cam will just give you more low end torque but they seem to flatten out at higher RPM's. If you have had good luck with the engine stock then just rebuild it to stock. I have had a few customers that put reprogrammers for 4X4ing and like the performance difference so maybe try that after it back together.

Best Answer Mark helpful
98,395

Thanks for the points.