Transmission feels funny

155

Asked by Jun 30, 2008 at 05:16 PM about the 1998 INFINITI I30 FWD

Infiniti I30 1998. 112,00.

This is going to be very difficult to explain and even more difficult to read if you haven't had this happen to you already.  Sometimes as I let up on the gas (take my foot off) it feels like the transmission grabs on to the motion of the car.  Thus giving a small but noticeable jerk.  Everyone in the car feels it if i show them but it really is only noticeable to the driver.  Does anyone know why this happens?  I bought this car from my uncle who says this has happened all the time ever since he bought the car.

4,085

Check the trans fluid level, as well as its condition. It should be a pinkish-red, and should not smell burnt. You may need to have the fluid flushed, filter changed, and an additive put in it.

10

it may be your oxygen sensor to the vehicle it may not be getting enough oxygen to the engine. or maybe it is needing an oil change and the oil is dirty.

20

i would not have the fluid flushed, it may destroy the transmission if the service history is not too spectacular. i would first begin by drain+refill the fluid 3-4 times (to get all the old fluid out)then replacing the transmission filter+pan gasket. you can order those from www.everythinginfiniti.com (my favorite parts site) and refilling with quality mobil 1 synthetic atf. that should improve things, but at this point i can tell your transmission is already slipping and the damage has already been done. i have the same problem on my acura CL 2.2 with 180k. also check out www.nicoclub.com if you haven't already. biggest infiniti/nissan wealth of knowledge you'll ever see.

Ever learn any more about this?

155

Actually, no i did not. Apparently it was completely normal. Never had any transmission issues either. Just sold the car about a month ago. Was fantastic.

i own a 1998 i30t with 212K miles. when the car shifts into second gear it pulls hard to the right. I changed the fluid and filter. that didnt fix it . i think its time to see a professional.

20

My infinite i30 sometimes won't go in 3rd gear the rpm go up to about 3500 then I turn it off let it sit then I it'll go into gear A/T