Can a vehicle fail PA state safety inspection for "axle boots spitting grease"?

Asked by Feb 10, 2016 at 02:30 PM about the 1999 INFINITI G20 4 Dr STD Sedan

I recently had a Pennsylvania state safety inspection and failed inspection due
to "both axle boots spitting grease".  I haven't seen anything in the actual PA
state criteria to reject/fail for axle boots - is this something that I can truly fail
inspection for?

57,455

Having torn boots on the front axles and loosing the grease could lock up the CV joints to were you couldn't turn the vehicle, or CV joint lock up and cause a vibration that could throw you off the road, The Safety In-specter has every right to deam it unsafe, as that way it would get fixed. A fix it ticket so to speak.

51,865

The good thing is that it does not cost that much to repair the boots. Leaving them leaking will cause the CV joints to fail and cost you a lot more money. Look at it this way - They saved you money.

4,425

I wish other states would initiate vehicle inspections that actually looked for problems like this. I came from NJ and Del where they had adequate inspections but nothing like PA. Now I am in FL and you need to do NOTHING to insure your car is safe to drive. Needless to say I am an alert driver when in FL and the surrounding states that are all the same.

57,455

Up here in Michigan as long as everything works and it is not that loud, mirrors on, no tint, you can drive it. But if something happen because of a mechanical failler, you get ticketed, and a possible law suit depending on what happen.