How important is an ac clutch? Does it matter if it's on or off?

Asked by Aug 14, 2015 at 12:42 PM about the 2000 INFINITI I30 4 Dr STD Sedan

I had my ac clutch taken off due to belt malfunction (belt got snapped off) and was told
that was the main reason why the belt snapped in the first place. I was just wondering if I
should put it back on since I had to take my car back for a second time within 24 hours
for the same reason (belt snapped off).

237,775

So your running a smaller serpentine belt now without it or no belt at all? If you run without it, you won't have AC or defrost.

I'm running a serpentine belt without it. I don't really care about AC or defrost, I'm just more concerned about whether my car will be ok without the clutch.

8,860

If the pump (Compressor) is bad will snap the belt as many times as you replace the belt. You must disconect the wires that go to the AC compressor clutch and if the belt still breaks then the clutch is bad ... either way you will never fix it changing belts