What should be done with the G20 after the mechanic says, "The left 2 pistons are starting to melt and right 2 pistons have coolant in them due to blown gaskets".

Asked by Jul 08, 2016 at 12:20 AM about the 1984 Chevrolet Chevy Van 3 Dr G20 Cargo Van Extended

Does it mean the engine have to be replaced?  Don't have the money for that.  
Is the vehicle no longer worth putting money into it?

You don't state how many miles are on this vehicle. However, with it being an 84, and not exactly anything collectible, I wouldn't waste money on it with the motor blown. If it's in really nice rust-free condition you might be able to sell it as is, as a "mechanic special" in need of an engine, if it looks like a rust bucket, scrap it.

It means a lot of money to do it right with a new or reman engine, of course you could find a good running engine from a wrecking yard and have it put in, either way it is going to cost some money, the van just isn't worth too much really but if you want too keep it until it just a rolling rust bucket then put another engine it, I don't think I would spring for a new one unless the body is in exceptional condition. If it was mine I would sell it as is or part it out and find another rig.

Best Answer

Thank you for your suggestions. Ironically, the entire vehicle had been updated, refurbished and the "body is in exceptional condition". Thus, I'm torn. How much is this vehicle worth now if selling as is? Place on Craig's list?

Still it is an 84, I know out here in my area even though it has been updated you could only get scrap metal price for it. But who knows you might find just that right person and get a grand for it.

FYI: Currently has less than 55,000 miles on it. The original owner kept it in his garage for 20+ years. My father then brought it real cheap ... and then updated, refurbished and finally modernized it.

So it sounds like you really want to keep it. The cheapest way too go would be to find a running used engine and have the lower end checked and if it checks good put new bearings in. That way the engine should last quite a while. Make sure the current cooling system is good and not restricted, remember vans tend to run hotter than trucks and cars so a good cooling system is a must.