My car keeps stalling though starts up immediately

Asked by Mar 02, 2010 at 05:23 PM about the 2001 INFINITI QX4 4WD

Some days my Infiniti stalls out every time I stop at a light, unless I keep my foot on the break and the gas pedal at the same time to keep gas going through.  Other problems.
The dealership says it's a mass air flow intake that need to be replaced at almost $600.  I have to say that I don't have much faith in them.
I've done some research on line...something about cleaning the throttle body?
How easy would it be for me..a girl who only just today figured out how to replace a HiD bulb in the headlight, can change a tire and the oil, but has no experience with mechanics?

Same thing happens to my 2000 Infiniti QX4, my mechanic also quoted me the same amount.

I had this same exact problem and similar experience where my car would stall out whenever I came to a lights or have to stop @ rest for periods @ a time. And it would happen sporadically but progressively get worse. I don't know if this happened to y'all, but my check engine light would only come on when the problem was actually occurring, so the auto repair place had a hard time locating the problem bc they couldn't hook it up to the diagnostic so that the car could tell exactly what was was. Well it finally messed up one day @ the shop in front of the mechanic and it turns out their was a blockage causing all the gas or only a little to flow out through the gas pipe (I'm guessing on the part name), is that the same problem as what your diagnostic was? I'm just about to get this car and I'm really nervous

I had an issue with my Infiniti qx4 1999 using rpm. It would shake violently and eventually not even start at all. We were unable to jump start it. It turned out to be a bad distributor. The distributor cap was replaced as well. Haven't had any issues since. Not sure if this will help, I just always hate how no one returns once they have a solution.