Running outta fuel

Asked by Aug 24, 2016 at 06:09 PM about the 1981 Chevrolet C/K 10 Silverado Standard Cab SB

I have a 81 c 10 replaced gas tank all new lines and
truck can be running at idle after bout 5 min approx
it jus shuts off! Fuel bowl on carb is empty you can
prime with gas and starts back up! Anybody any
suggestions?

19,790

Replace or rebuild carburetor.

Carb has been rebuilt! Also when driving it acting like it runs outta fuel at higher rpm? Driving normal runs fine

Thought bout trying different carb to see if that's it. I have another I could put on to try. Also replaced fuel pump too

13,015

Fuel supply issue... check line to pump, again.. then filter restricted or pump weak.

Jus replaced new metal gas line from tank to fuel pump today. Do you think it could vent issue from tank? It's a fuel issue jus can't pin point it, it did fine until changed fuel tank?

19,790

Did you also replace the rubber gas lines from fuel pump assembly to the metal lines and other rubber gas lines.

Yes, all new lines from fuel tank to the fuel pump, new line from fuel pump to the carb

51,995

Take the gas cap off and run it and see if it still quits. It could be a vent issue.

K, that'was my next question I'll try that. And let return to post after I try! Thanks for everyone's help if anybody has had this issue please feel free to give me suggestions to try thanks

35

I had same problem, It was the filter in the gas tank. It is a mesh material that goes on the tubing that goes to the carburetor after it get old it will fold over and cut the gas off under pressure but when you cut the engine off and the pressure is off it will go back to normal and engine will crank up and run.

You talking bout on the sending unit? I replaced all that new not saying it still it still couldn't come off, but that sonething I can check Also! Trying a couple things today to try to figure it out! Thanks for the input I think with everyone's help we figure this out.

35

I am talking about the filter inside the gas tank, most people don't realize a filter is inside the tank. To keep it from happening I took the filter off and didn't replace it. The tank has to come out of the truck to be able to get to it.

Ok, yea I replaced my tank with new one, but if it keep doing it after i check other things. I will check that, thanks for the input

Thought I would return to my post and let everybody know what my issue was with My truck! Never would thought to Check until friend of mine had same problem! The fuel pump rod was too short!!! Yea iwouldnt have believed it either but sbc is 5 .75 in long and the one that was in there bout 1/4 shorter I know hard to believe but that cured my problem