Engine stop

Asked by Feb 12, 2017 at 05:51 AM about the 1982 Chevrolet C/K 10 Silverado Standard Cab SB

My 82 C10 Silverado, 6.2 diesel does the strangest thing. Is this normal.   The guy I brought it
off had trouble stopping the engine. When he turned the key off the engine kept running.
(usually,not always tho)   He told me it was stop solenoid in injection pump.  I ordered a new
one from USA,  because I live in New Zealand  the wait for parts is about 3 weeks....  in that time
I discovered that if I turned the key off, then applied the foot park brake the engine would stop.  
Is this normal?  I told him and he rekons he never used the park brake....   So WTF, is this normal
or what ???

98,515

No it's not normal, and I don't think the fuel cut solenoid is going to fix it, I believe your getting a feedback from the charging system and when you apply the park brake the park brake light pulls enough power to dropout the voltage, I think you would get the same thing if you turned on the headlights, it would do the same thing. The only other thing I can think of is the ignition switch may have a arching problem internally. HTH

Thanks for your input. Yes, turning on the lights does work! The owner before me was a good mechanic, but a hopeless electrician !! I've found lots of dodgy wiring, and am still working through fixing them, I guess this is another thing I'll have to try and work out. Any ideas where to start ? Thanks again. :-)

98,515

Diodes in the alternator is the first thing to check, it only takes one weak one to foul the whole system up, also check to make sure the alt light turns on when you just turn the key to on, if not that also needs repaired.

Hey there, thanks for reply. I had the alternator serviced about 6 months ago, it was fully checked and all ok. As for alternator light heres a funny one for ya.... it has never worked(or not as an alternator light in the correct place ) but talking to previous owner, he recons he may have put the light in another holder.... haha.... Being a diesel, at the top of the dash are two lights, glow plugs, and water in fuel. (Now, when I think about it...)The water in fuel light has always acted like an alrernator light, ie. Turns on and off with key. Goes out with engine start. So I'm thinking this is it. I will try and locate its propper location next time the dash is appart. The only other warning light that goes, is the park prake one. Its at bottom of fuel gage. Not sure which one is next to it...and unsure what the two at the bottom of the speedo show..... alt must be one of these. Just goes to show how unique my ol truck is ! I love it tho. Just wish I had access to all the spate parts you guys have. I'll get there tho !!!

Alternator light in correct spot.... what next ?????

Your help please...... ?

98,515

Ok then one side of the alternator light will be a hot with the key on and the other end to the field side of the alternator, if the wiring is a bad as you say it is then you may have to run a new circuit. Then you need to find out if the water in fuel light is hooked up.to the water/fuel separator and not the alternator

Hi, the alternator light is working correctly, it was just in the wrong slot on the dash. Have had a sparky confirm. Water in fuel light not hooked up, as a new twin fuel filter setup with visible glass bowls to see if water is in the fuel have been installed.