Cam 350 motoer

Asked by Jan 21, 2016 at 09:32 PM about the 1985 Chevrolet C/K 10 Silverado Standard Cab LB

How far can I cam a 350 before I don't have to have a stall converter 85 chevy

70,165

A lump cam with poor idle vacuum and high idle speed would need a high stall speed converter.

70,165

Isky cams gives converter stall speed recommendations on their hotter cams. I am sure others do too.

97,125

The farthest you could go and still keep the stock converter would be what they call an RV cam, it changes the torque curve, duration slightly and just a touch more lift but has a good idle and you can get away with more timing advance but you will use more fuel, the last truck I put one in dropped down from 13 to 9 MPG but he really liked the out of the hole pulling it gave his truck.

10,435

To take Full_of_Regrets comment further most brand name cam companies have reps that will work with you to tailor a cam to your specific engine application. In most cases a blind leap to a hot cam will net more power but may cause other issues where I have found that a moderate cam upgrade tailored to your engine, vehicle and application will give you the power where you want it to match your needs and other engine mods. They would be able to tell you the limits and hopefully have other ideas to maximize power before a converter upgrade. Other than a 4x4 which I just use generic RV cams I always talk to a cam rep about builds with unknown parts to me.