Transmission

Asked by Oct 03, 2016 at 01:53 PM about the 1986 Chevrolet C/K 10 Silverado Standard Cab LB

So one of my transmission cooling line broke and
alot of fluid drained out while I was driving. I fixed
the line but I am not sure what kind of tranny fluid I
need and I tried to slightly move my truck but when
I put it in drive it would not move. Is that due to no
or low tranny fluid?

242,005

You should never try to uses the transmission without fluid. Purchase some DEX/MERC trans fluid and add to the proper level. Engine on, warmed up to operating temperature, in park, on a level surface. IF it still doesn't move, there is probably damage from running low on fluid. Was it for many miles? Heat/friction is a killer or transmissions.

Bout a mile or less part of it was up a hill doing about 15 and the rpm sounded high then coasted down the hill in neutral and then I popped it back in gear to go on a flat surface got up to about 25 miles an hour and then Coast the rest way home in neutral.