Rear End Clunk

30

Asked by Mar 08, 2017 at 05:33 PM about the 2017 Ford Escape SE AWD

I am experiencing a loud rear end clunk on my 2017 Escape 2.0 AWD.  It usually happens after I back up from my garage, shift into drive and begin to move.  Trying to replicate in dealers lot and have only done it twice and dealer is stumped.  It would appear one has to drive a ways before trying to duplicate. Ideas??

10

Heading to the dealer in the morning, with the same issue with my 2016. I'll post my findings as soon as they let me know. Wish me luck

30

Best of luck. I now have two dealers stumped but it is happening less often. Let me know if they are able to find anything.

I have the same problem. The dealer said that it was normal. They were able to duplicate it,they said that when the rear differential transits from reverse to forward or forward to reverse it has to change the gears and there is a rubber coupling to prevent damage. I can't see how that a clunk that loud without being a problem at some time in the future.

30

Interesting. I have to think something is going to break somewhere down the road as some of these clunks get really loud. Hate to say it but I guess all I can do is wait for something to break.

10

I am having the same issue with my 2017 Ford Escape, 2.0L, 4WD. Has anyone figured out the issue and solution?

30

Best I've got so far is "It's under warranty. If it breaks, we'll tow you in". I have 6,000 miles on so far and it may be getting a little worse. Really would like to know what is going on. Can't get any help from Ford.

10

Having same issues with my 2017 AWD Escape, dealer could not duplicate

30

Same issue with my 2017 AWD Escape, took it back to the dealer for the 2nd time. First time they replaced the rear shocks, said that was the problem. Didn't solve the problem. Took it back today, the mechanic got it to make the clunking noise. Took a look and said it's the rear differential. They ordered a new one and will replace. Under warranty.

30

Would REALLY like to know if that solves the problem.

30

I'll let you know. They said it will take a couple of weeks to get the parts in.

30

Just got an email from a Ford service manager from one of the dealers I took my Escape to. There is a special service message from Ford hotline on that repair now (ssm number 46703). Seems it's an electronic component called an active torque coupling. They have now replaced several and it seems to fix the problem.

30

So as to follow up on replacement of the electronic active torque coupling mentioned in the special service message, Had it replaced today at a dealer with the car being in the shop seven hours and it still clunks. Need an answer to this. Will be waiting for GaruDW61V's experience.

My 2016 is doing the same thing. Dealer has rotated tires(didn't help). Then they said it was a spring on shocks (didn't help). Now they say it is the differential. Have to order part from ford. I don't know what the deal is

30

After now driving my Escape two days after the torque coupling replacement, I will admit that is has stopped 80% of the clunking and the remaining clunks are less loud and less frequent. At least I won't be embarrassed in a parking lot. The problem now is that Ford can probably say this is "characteristic" of the 4wd or awd and everyone is SOL.

Sitting at the dealership now with same issue awaiting to hear..... 2017 Ford Escape. First time it happened I thought I hit someone backing up. Scared the hell out of me.

2017 2.0L FWD Ecoboost 2300 miles traveling was so loud thought someone threw a boulder. Any ideas.

dealer replaced the differential and I haven't heard the noise since. So now they have rotated my tires, replaced shocks and this, and I think they finally got it right.

30

Would like to hear if replacing the differential took care of the problem after putting on a few miles. Mine still persists after replacing the electronic torque coupling but not as often but the noise is increasing. Talked again to the dealer I purchased it from and they basically told me to stick it. When it breaks, they'll tow it in. Talked to Ford Customer Service and they didn't really tell me a lot either except the only way it's going to get fixed is if the dealer can duplicate the noise. I have owned Chevrolets the majority of my life and have had warranty issues but never the "run around" I'm getting from Ford. Should be illegal.

30

Dealer replaced the rear differential and the problem went away. Mechanic said they've had a few of these recently on the 2017's. So if that's one dealer, then there must be multiple others. Should be a recall.