1986 5.0 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - no fire

Asked by May 30, 2017 at 02:51 PM about the 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 4 Dr Wagon

I just picked up this car from a family member. The engines turns over no
issue.
The TFI is new as is the coil.
I have 12 volts at the coil.
But no fire from the coil to the distributor.
Any help is welcome before I bring this into a shop and let someone else have
a go at it.

109,845

Did you also replace the distributor pick at the same time? It's best to do then TFI module and the pickup at the same time so both your triggering systems start out new. Also check the TFI plug, these have been known to leak and then corrosion get started inside. HTH

Thanks I did replace the distributo cap and the pic up. I will look into the plug. It looked very clean but that does not mean that much. The car has been sitting for the last 13 years and it could easily be poor wire or plug contacts. Any other ideas are crazy welcome

109,845

might help.

right and this circuit pins out perfectly. What about the 3rd wire that share the same pin on the coil as the wire from the TFI module? It seems to go to the ECM . How does this interact with the circuit?

got another question about the same thing. Would the EEC have a life? That is to say what happens to the EEC (ECM) if it is parked without power for 14 year? Could my EEC be dead? need reprograming or just replace?

109,845

Crank and run voltage, as long as the ignition switch is sending power to those wires. As far as checking the processor, have you tried to get any codes from it? Go to: https://www.freeautomechanic.com/diagnostictroblecodes7.html That will show how to get old Ford OBD1 codes and what they mean. HTH

Its alive!!! Whoot whoot!

109,845

Great, what did you finally find that went haywire?

I disassembled the distributor and replaced the distributor pic up again.... The unit i originally installed as from spares my uncle had lying around. replaced with new . :) Safetied and on the road now. still a few things to do (idles way too fast and hunts / heater coil to replace before winter / transmission oil filter and pan gasket / maybe new shocks / finish window mechanisms) But it runs after sitting for 15 years and my daughter has a car :)

Did you get fuel pressure before pick up was changed? I'm having same issue. My car cranks hard but doesnt turn over. Changed wires plugs cap rotor button ig coil. I even changed ig control module on distributor. Didnt change pick up coil. It cranked amd ran for a day strong amd then died now won't crank or get fuel pressure. Could the pick up coil stop that? I had great fuel pressure and now no spark or fuel pressure. What causes that?

not sure if that would affect the fuel pressure but I do know that when I replaced the pick up coil in the distributor it solved all my issues. If you are not able to crank or get fuel pressure do you have good voltage to the starter and fuel pump?