clutch

75

Asked by Jun 11, 2008 at 03:01 PM about the 2004 INFINITI G35 Sedan

is there a way to tighten up the throw out bearing

8,375

tighten up the throwout bearing? It's not a screw it's a bearing. What is your actual problem?

75

the rattling at idle it doesn't seem right, but as soon as I push in the clutch it stops. So want could it be?

8,375

rattling at idle? Do you mean when you have the peddle in it rattle (ie clutch disengaged) Or are you trying to let the car idle with your foot off the peddle in which case your stalling the engine you don't idle a manual like a stick? Normally if a bearing goes bad it's worse than just a rattle. Can you tell where the rattle is coming from or is the whole car shaking and rattling

75

when the clutch is engaged the noise is present but once I disengage the clutch it goes silent, the whole car doesn't shake or rattle just this noise coming from underneath the driver side. I talked with a few of my friends that have driven my car and they all seem to agree that my car has a heavier clutch than stock, in fact I drove my friend's 04 350Z enthusiast pkg and his clutch had a lighter feel to it. I just don't want to damage anything by ignoring this slight rattle that it makes. The car is in neutral when this sound is present, I have a 6MT.

8,375

So ya'll think it has an aftermarket setup? Hmm h8 to say it but it's pretty hard to geuss at what the problem is from my end... I'd say take it somewhere to have it checked out. Maybe if the thing is up on a lift a mechanic will have a better idea of what wrong. I'm not a fan of aftermarket setups. They design the cars to handle certain strains and when people shove overly stiff pressure plates in they are just asking for trouble. A good mechanic likely will put it on a lifft and listen to it for free, and prolley be able to shed light on the subject having a better knowledge of troubleshooting clutch noise. Heck if it's coming from under the seat it may just be the force from the clutch straining the car ever so slightly that something rattles that normally doesn't. I wouldn't expect that on a car like this but you never know. Goodluck sorry I couldn't be more help.

75

Thanks

15

if the noise isn't loud its normal, my 07 does the same my old car also made that noise.

45

My '04 has a heavier/stiffer than normal feel to the clutch too! I've also had two mechanics comment on it as well, but mine is stock. I also have a rattle sound, but it seems to be only during hwy driving, probably not related to your problems tho.

95

Believe it or not nothing is wrong. The car does make a slight rattle while in neutral. If that is what you are speaking of that is within normal operating, however to protect myself take it to an Infiniti dealer they should look at your car initially for free.

105

If you go under your clutch pedal you will see a way to tighten it a little, but if you don't know what you are doing don't try. Go download the service manual from infinitihelp and then you can figure it out. Almost all 6mts have some rattle but you can minimize it. That is just the way they made these cars. If you put an aftermarket clutch and flywheel in then your sound will be louder then the stock one. Just FYI

1,145

I have the same problem. Your throw out bearing aka release bearing needs to be replaced. If you're getting a little bit of shaking when you take off, you may need to replace your clutch disks and have your flywheel machined too. Do not buy the parts from the Infiniti dealer. They are over priced. Call the dealer and get the part numbers then go to a Nissan dealer and buy them. They are 35-40% cheaper at the Nissan dealer.

15

If you're having a rattling noise when you've depressed the clutch ( IE foot on the clutch ), it's release bearing. But you said you have a rattling noise when you're OFF the clutch pedal. That would be input shaft bearing, and Nissans are FAMOUS for input shaft bearing failures. I have a release bearing noise when I first startup, but it does sound like yours is input shaft related.

is there any way that i can make the clutch shorter so that i can shift faster?