I just purchased a 2004 G35 cupe, is there any known issues with this model?

25

Asked by Feb 19, 2008 at 04:22 PM about the 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe

I drove a 2001 BMW 330i for 6 years and it gave me so many problems. I am tired of car problems!

40,265

Best place to check is www.carsurvey.org. See what other real owners are saying about their vehicles!

95

I have the same car with the same year. The tires seem to wear prematurely , it noisy as heck and it makes a similar sound as if the bearings are going out. The headlights are crazy expensive, I had to make a modification so that the directionals worked the side lights. Now for the great things, It gets some of the best milage in a sports-car of its caliber. Very few issues with the car for the past 30k miles. I would definitely recommend this car.

6,665

dont worry. you wont have near the issues with the G as you did the bmw. they are overall great cars.

55

maintenance should be about the same as a 330i watch the inside edge of the front tires they like to feather so rotate often. brake jobs can be expensive, if you call tire rack and can do them in your driveway you can save a ton of cash.

25

I have the same year model and to sum it up Its the second best car I have purchased in my life the first being a 94 Honda Prelude which I just got rid of after 14yrs. If you have time to burn one place you can get some feed back is G35Driver. Now for my personal experience; I am guessing you have the autobox and not the manual if not generally the manual equipped cars had an oil consumption issue I started noticing mine after about and it progressively got worse. In short I ended up needing a new engine a caveat my driving style is not the pampering kind either and the original motor lasted till 107K. That was THE major repair I had to perform but other notable issues were the audio unit's CD changer skipping especially when its cold out first thing in the morning but the dealer was able to remedy it under warranty and if urs is used it should have been taken cared of as well as the rear axel nut issue. With all that being said the car overall is relatively reliable and avg maint is about equal to the Germans but not more. The car has not been a disappointment for me and at 117K it still give me thrills on back raods and is as enjoyably comfortable in rush hour slogs. Good luck with yours and take good care of it it won't disappoint.

35

i bought my second g 35x two months ago (2006 model) the best car i have in my life. my next car is m45x (8 cylinder) . you cannot ever go wrong with this car !

45

I have the 2004 Infiniti G35 sedan with 6M trans. I am over 87K miles now and no problems. I do all recommended maintenance. I have no issue with burning oil as one other poster mentioned with the manual transmission. I do lots of highway driving and get 26mpg in the summer. Most reliable and problem free car that I have ever owned so far. I researched this car before I bought it in 2006. Only problem that I could find people complaining about online at that time was that brakes would wear out prematurely.

95

First of all to go off what Daniel said about burning oil. The 03-04 are non-rev up motors, their for do not have oil burning problems. The biggest issue with these cars are the windows. They seem to stop working if you don't be nice to them. The breaks wearing fast is not a problem if you upgrade to a carbon ceramic pad. They will last a lot longer. As for the tires, that is another thing all together. The only issue is that you will wear through your rear tires pretty quick, but that can be said for any sports car. Other then that, the clutch usually last 50 to 70k then upgrade to something better. Like ACT or something. The only issue is that when you are idling you can get some tapping/ticking noise, because you have reduced so much weight from the flywheel. I have the same car as you. A 04 6mt 67k with quite a few little mods. The only issue I have personally had (knock on wood) is the tapping from the transmission for upgrading my clutch and flywheel. Its really annoying, but nothing you can do about it really. Overall as long as you take care of your G then you will prob be problem free other then general maintenance. If you want to check out a site that is devoted to G drivers that drive 6mt's then go to 6mt.net

75

As another poster has commented I also had issues with the front brakes wearing out very quickly. In fact I had to have the rotars replaced after about 10K miles, but because this was a known issue Inifiniti paid for the whole thing. Overall I love the car and have enjoyed driving it trouble-free with this one exception (note at 40K miles I had to have the rotars replaced again at my expense).

20

I had a 2003 G35 coupe and an issue they have is the heat/Ac center dash console. They may go out and the console may need to be replaced.