No starter relay on fenderwall

20

Asked by Feb 10, 2013 at 02:29 PM about the 2000 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab Stepside 4WD SB

will not start with key,and will not start via the starter with switch on.(jump the bendex on starter with screwdriver. It
is not getting fire to the starter .If u try with key switch no turning over of starter,if u by=pass and go stright to starter
it will turn over but no fire. O'yea and a parts house can find one for this model even if it does not hav one.

How in the world did you get this vehicle? was it towed in? apparently they aren't doing this anymore, or someone swiped the relay. Should look into this arrangement if I had the time. Give a couple of hours and will try to investigate the "normal" ford starter for a 2000. Apparently they are doing it the same way for 80 years...and aren't going to change this soon, figure, why fix what works?

20

I'm know what i'm tellin u.There is no starter solinoid relay that has 2 big conections and 2 small ones.Positive cable comes from firewall to bat.then to starter bendex or solinoid,what ever u want to call it anymore.This is a 3.0V-6 I was told by a gentelman on this site that 2000's did not have it on firewall or fenderwall.

http://www.autopartsnetwork.com/shop/-brand_Standard_Ignition-make_Ford-model_Ranger-year_2000-position_Fender_Mounted-sku_SS-ds-598.html them high amperage wires gotta go somewhere?

8,615

There has to be a solenoid somewhere. It is either on the inner fender, as Ford has done for decades, or it is integral with the starter motor. To find it follow the positive battery cable. Where it ends is the solenoid. The draw of the starter motor is high enough that it HAS to use the battery cable to supply it, and that is too much amperage for any normal switch to take, not to mention the cost of running 4 or 1 gauge cable that far. The batter cable tat runs to the fender or engine bock is the negative by the way. They symptoms you describe sure sound like a defective solenoid. If ford borrowed the bad idea from G.M., you may be due for a starter motor. When you find the solenoid, check for current on the trip wire from the ignition. If you have no current with the key in the start position, you may have a defective ignition switch, either the key cylinder or the electrical switch itself, which is mounted on the top of the steering column, just behind the dash face. Hope this helps. As an aside, I always replace the 4 gauge battery/starter cables when I buy a car, and install 1 gauge. Just that extra current capacity.

70

Hi! My english is bad, but sometimes you can help me. I have a 1996 ranger 4.0 and when I turn the key will not start. I already test all fuse. they are ok. But not electric current arriving on starter relay from the key when I turn on to start the engine. Is there some relay between the key and starter relay?

the battery should be newer than five...the connections to the frame/ground should be wirebrushed clean with the 1/0 cable to battery....for the grounding side...for the hot (+) side be sure connections are solid and not corroded~------A bateria deve ser mais novo do que cinco ... as conexões para o frame / terreno deve ser limpo wirebrushed com o cabo 1/0 a bateria .... para o lado da terra ... para o lado quente (+) ser conexões certeza são sólidos não corroídos ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3I2oye8OpQ