What could be causing a car to stall randomly when stopped?

Asked by Jan 03, 2017 at 03:27 PM about the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze LT

My 2016 Chevy Cruze will stall out when I am stopped at a red light or in
traffic.  This doesn't happen every time and happens so infrequently that I
am having a very hard time getting the service department at my
dealership to take me serious about this.  This started back in October
when the car had under 5,000 miles on it.  I've had it in for an oil change
and tire rotation but that is the only service I've had on the car.  

85,955

Keep on top of the dealer and make a complaint to Chevy as well. Tell them it is a safety hazard and ask for a loaner car so that they can drive it to find the problem. Make them document everything so that there is a record of the problem.

I had this problem dealer ship went through car twice, stalled while I was driving yesterday and caused accident what do I do?

Please look this up. I also have a 2016 chevy cruze and have been fighting to get something done due to this same issue. Please call the GM corporate offices and complain as well file with the NHTSA and BBB if need be. They have blown me off and don't care to help. Below is the PIP bulletin for this. https://gm.oemdtc.com/7914/pip5507b-stalling-hesitation-lack-of-performance-p018b-andor-p2635-setting-in-high-ambient-temperatures-2013-2017-buick-cadillac-chevrolet-gm-gmc

I've had a similar situation occur with my 2017 Chevy Cruze. Tapped the brakes when someone cut me off to avoid collision - car just stalled/stopped. No bells or whistles or lights flashing on the dash. Placed car in park then placed in drive & hit gas - 1 mph so I turned the ignition off & started car up again. working fine. dealership is having hard time finding out whats wrong

Ya good luck. I am now speaking to the Attorney Generals ofive because GM has refused to help me.

This is ridiculous that they won't take anyone serious. The dealer and GM both told me to video tape myself driving because they don't think anything is wrong with the car. Every time I drive I'm in fear it's going to happen again. I do everything I can from keeping my car from going into that auto stop.

Auto stop is ridiculous but this problem has nothing to do with the auto stop.

Jennifer if your dealership finds the problem please let us know

I don't have the same issue if it doesn't have to do with the Auto Stop. That is when my car stalls. It goes into Auto Stop and never comes out of it.

Then yes I thought you just meant the auto stop in general, you are having the same issue.

Is anyone's cruze stalling while driving ,idling or in hot conditions.? If so please https://gm.oemdtc.com/7914/pip5507b-stalling-hesitation-lack-of-performance-p018b-andor-p2635-setting-in-high-ambient-temperatures-2013-2017-buick-cadillac-chevrolet-gm-gmc read this and let me know if this is your situation.

I live in AZ so yes it’s hot and yes it happens during the summer months

Have you read on the PIP Bulletin I posted? I live in TN so in how months my car stalls while driving it. I have already called GM and the dealers and all they say is to put high octane fuel in the car and to keep in covered garage and to not let idle for a long period of time. I live near Nashville which is impossible to stay out of traffic. And I refuse to continue to put high octane fuel in like they want. I didn't buy a 4 cylinder to spend the extra money on high octane fuel. I would have bought a sports car. After several close calls of almost getting slammed into by several cars and a semi GM still states that I don't qualify for assistance or a buyback.

Absolutely! I'll definitely share whatever the dealership finds out...if anything. I did a little research of my own & found out there's a few things that COULD BE the cause...out of fuel, alternator issues, malfunctioning ignition switch, fuel pump or malfunctioning sensors. In my case, it wasn't due to lack of fuel b/cdashboard didn't lit up. I doubt it would be the ignition switch b/c car is still pretty brand new - I only bought it like Dec 2016. We shall see...

I️ also have had these problems since I’ve had my Cruze. I’ve done a lot of research and it is electrical and transmission. But there are various reasons towards the electrical. Look up the chevy Cruze recalls to see all the possibilities. Transmission is a big part of it though for sure

Robert - what year is your Cruze? Just curious. If there are recorded recalls how come the tech guy couldn't find anything when he was typing in the description I gave him? The tech guy acted like I was speaking a different language anyway. Everyone who is following: the tech's were "unable to duplicate the problem". They had my car & drove it for a good 2-4 days but were unable to duplicate the conditions/problems. But they have it on record in my file & I'm advised to call them immediately should it happen again. I was half tempted to throw all the reasons I found in my research at the tech guy to see what he would have said. But I also feel that I wouldn't have gotten very far either because when I first spoke to him he kept asking whether the engine had shut off completely or not... I just hope & pray this doesn't happen again.