Service Engine Soon

Asked by Apr 28, 2014 at 08:35 AM about the 2000 Ford Mustang Base

My Mustang developed a problem after I noticed it having a slight "jerk" while driving at a constant 40 to 55mph speed, that developed into not being able to get the car to go over 45mph and at 45 mph my stick shift was vibrating really hard - noticeable jerking around. Now the service engine soon lite is on,,, I was told an emissions problem. Your guess please, the car is in excellent shape and has 106,000 miles on it. HELP!

32,015

Go to Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts and get a free computer scan. It sounds like a O2 sensor or the catalytic converter.

Best Answer
32,015

O2 sensors are easy to replace. Kind of like changing a spark plug. The catalytic converter is a job best left to someone with the tools and knowledge.

20,545

Have you "serviced" your car? Better "service" it-

22,565

OMG! O2 sensors don't cause a jerk and limited speed. "Servicing" only changes oil and filters. I hate to tell you to go to AutoZone or some other Retail outlet to have the codes read but if it's about money, do that first. Get the codes and get back to us. Don't throw parts (or money) at it. That's an expensive guess - especially for $400 to $1000 Catalytic converters or $80 O2 sensors (of which your car has 4!)

32,015

Get the codes checked. BTW a bad catalytic converter will restrict the exhausting flow and can cause the problem you described as will bad O2 sensors. They are available online for a fraction of the cost at parts stores. Additionally Advanced Auto Parts has great coupons on line. Just Google them.

Best Answer

Thank you Everyone! My mechanic Ric Nobes Autobahn Daytona thinks we are on the right path. Too bad he is 3 hours from me!

The man who scanned my car at Advanced Auto would not give me any codes as I asked for them, he said his scope did not give codes all it read to him is that I have a definite emissions problem.

32,015

Did he recommended any parts? The whole idea of them scanning is to tell you what you need so they can sell you the part.

Nope. Just scanned it twice said you have a definate emissions problem. Have a nice day.

32,015

Unbelievable! How in the name of all that's great and holy dose that guy expect to sell any parts? Try another parts store. If they give you the same line ask them what you need.

He really didnt care to sell me anything because i did not provide him my phone number when he asked for it. :0(

22,565

Wow. A code does not indicate a part failure it indicates a system malfunction. Amateurs. I've only been at this since 1985 - I don't know crud BoholMark. My Master Certification from Ford and ASE don't mean anything. Lotsa luck Paula.

32,015

Tracy, time for a refresher course. The scan showed the emission system had a problem. As this armature recalls, O2 sensors and catalytic converters are part of the emission system. But you already knew that.

32,015

Paula, just make up a phone number if that's how you can get the codes. Invert some numbers. AutoZone never called me when I gave them mine.