Problems with the fuel tank

25

Asked by Dec 19, 2007 at 09:25 AM about the 1997 Hyundai Tiburon 2 Dr FX Hatchback

Recently, my check engine light has been going on, when i had the code read, it said i have an evap leak, that led to my fuel tank. is this a common problem for the hyundai tiburons?

not sure to be safe take to dealer and have checked out,dont need a vapor leak.

14,565

This is not a common problem for the Tiburon. However, it may be easily fixed by replacing the gas cap. Normally this type of evaporative leak is attributed to a faulty gas cap.

15

Did you fill up your car while it was running? If so, clear code and it's fixed.

45

Years ago there was a recall on the gas tank on the 1st generation Tiburons for a hair line crack in the gas tank that would cause evap leak codes and a raw gas smell when the vehicle is filled. That's the only problem that I can remember. Having a evap leak can still be many other things. Best bet is to have a evap test at a repair facility to determine where the leak is coming from. Note. A fault gas cap will also result in a check engine light with evap codes.

We own a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. It too is giving us that code. We changed the gas cap but it didn't clear the code. The mechanic told my hug there must be a hairline crack up high in tank. How common is that. I find it suspicious.