Engine stalls / hesitations at idle and low acceleration

hyundlesh
40

Asked by Apr 20, 2013 at 09:44 PM about the 1999 Hyundai Elantra 4 Dr GLS Wagon

Model: 1999 Hyundai Elantra GLS 2.0l DOHC
Odometer: 78,000
Recent work: replaced MAF with new, cleaned ignition plate, ran through 1 tank with
Techron fuel system cleaner.

The problem has a few variations:
- most often: you're cruising at 25-30, and the engine is doing little work; then, the
engine goes quiet, and the gas pedal stops producing power -- the car starts slowing
down, and soon after the engine shuts off
- less often: power cuts out as you're accelerating after being stopped at a signal, or as
you're going through a turn at low speed -- these are dangerous situations, because
you cannot maneuver until the engine restarts
- a couple of times: you've stopped at a signal, and the engine briefly runs rough or
even stops

Lately, the engine has been sounding smooth through all this, with the only symptoms
being the sudden loss of gas pedal response, the engine going quiet, and engine
shutoff soon after that.

Sometimes, but not always, one can recover from the problem by quickly pressing
down the gas. On a successful recovery, this is followed by a half-second of silence,
followed by a rev of the engine and a partial recovery of power. However, after
powering through such hiccups, the car is very prone to having more problems in the
next few minutes. Sometimes, such as in tight turns, it is too dangerous to try to
recover by rapid acceleration, and in these cases, the engine goes dead if not revved
soon after the hesitation.

In a recent instance, the car was repeatedly losing power over about 10 minutes:

1) While gradually accelerating into a left turn on a 4-lane road, after starting from a
signal. I was driving for about 3 minutes after having the car parked in a sunny spot on
a warm day for 2 hours. I pulled over into the left lane, turned off the engine, and
restarted the car. Sometimes, the problem goes away after such a treatment, but in
this case, it did not.

2) A minute or two later, I was accelerating from a signal, and midway through the
intersection, the car completely stopped responding to the gas pedal (I pumped it a few
times). I was trying to change into the right lane with the remaining 5-10mph of speed,
right after the light. Right-lane traffic was not letting me go, so I was basically
stopped... and then at one last desperate pump of the gas pedal, the engine revved
and recovered.

3) For the remainder of the drive, I tried to rev the engine to above 2500-3000rpm (hard
to say without an indicator) regularly, and the car did not stall, although it did seem a
bit iffy.

In another recent instance, I was about 20 minutes into looking for parking in a
crowded area (so lots of slow driving), in warm sunny weather, when the engine stalled
suddenly as I was making a slow right turn into a slight incline. It restarted with no
subsequent issues.

In another recent instance, the car was parked in 55 F weather, at night (no rain), for
about an hour after a 20-minute drive, and about 2 minutes into the return drive, it went
through a series of hesitations and near-stalls (saved by accelerating), until finally
coming to a dead stop on a stop sign. There were no further issues after re-starting the
engine.

On occasion, the problem happens after a cold start in the morning, but more
frequently (as described above) it happens after driving somewhere, and leaving the
car for a couple of hours. It has happened both in chilly weather and hot.

Despite all this, most of the time, the car runs smoothly, and several shops have
declined to look at it because they don't see any issues on casual examination. They
say: If I cannot see it, I cannot fix it. However, it does tend to happen at least every 30
miles, and sometimes much more frequently (practically every day for the past few
days).

The first time the problem happened was several years ago, but then it did not recur for
2-3 years. It started in earnest, and has been gradually getting worse over the last
year. No check engine light or warning light is on, and the mechanics see no codes on
the computer.

There problem _might_ be more likely to occur on a nearly-empty tank. At any rate, in
the last 1.5 tanks of gas, all the major problems were happening when the tank was
under 1/4 full, with smaller hesitations and almost no stalls in the top 25% of the tank.
I am not sure if this effect is for real, or just a recent coincidence.

I would like a local mechanic to definitively fix the problem, because right now, driving
the car feels like playing Russian roulette -- you never know if you are going to cause
an accident by stalling out in a high-traffic area.

98,445

Here is a recall that may pertain to the problems you are having. Hope this helps. Recall Date: SEP 11, 2000 Model Affected: 1999 HYUNDAI ELANTRA Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: SOME SONATA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 2.5 LITER V-6 ENGINES AND ALL ELANTRA MODEL VEHICLES MAY HAVE EXPERIENCED INTERMITTENT LOW-SPEED ENGINE STALLING, WHICH COULD OCCUR IF THE MAF (MASS AIR FLOW) SENSOR ELECTRICAL SIGNAL IS INTERRUPTED AS A RESULT OF ENGINE VIBRATION TRANSMITTED TO THE MAF SENSOR CONNECTOR WIRING HARNESS. Consequence: THIS CONDITION CAN CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH. Remedy: DEALERS WILL RE-ROUTE THE MAF SENSOR CONNECTOR WIRING HARNESS. Potential Units Affected: 165977 Notes: HYUNDAI MOTOR COMPANY 039/040 Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/am/1999/hyundai/elantra/recalls.html#ix zz2R6PjsP9M

hyundlesh
40

@dandyoun, thanks so much for the hint -- unfortunately, I've already called Hyundai, and they told me that both recall services for this vehicle had been done in 2000 / 2001. So, it's probably something else.

98,445

Might want to take a good look at the harness that was rerouted on the recall. What you are describing sounds a lot like what the recall was for.

Virginia Ellen
70

We are having the same problem with our 2003 Elantra. It can get terrible when it is hot, which it certainly is this week. Any ideas? We have had it to our mechanic multiple times and he has replaced various things. He recommended using high octane fuel, and that did help for a while. Then it seemed like perhaps it was a transmission issue, so we put some transmission fluid booster in, but now that it is so hot, the fuel and additives aren't enough.

Veester
130

FINALLY !! I was going crazy with my moms n 2003 Elantra . It was the fuel injectors but they had too be removed and cleaned thoroughly. we didn't think it was that cause the dealer cleaned them but with a machine not manually. Car is running SUPER SMOOTH !!!!!

HHeidi
60

All what you have mentioned above....could any of those symptoms cause the engine light to appear?

Tjmaize
50

The engine light doesn't go on when my car stalls it's happened quit a lot and even the dealership has no clue why. So far 1 accident and 2 times in the dealership due to stalling with no answer as to why yet.

Kenneth Cole
150

i have a 2001 Elantra doing the EXACT same thing. have replaced plugs and wires, coil pack, had the timing belt done several years ago - currently changing the camshaft sensor but don't have much faith in that

fatpat2
40

For the owner who originally posted this...did you ever figure out what the issue was? I have a 2013 Elantra Limited that is doing the same exact thing...we have noticed that it typically does not happen unless the range is under 60 miles so when the tank has about 2 gallons left. It almost always happens when making a right turn and sometimes when going on a straight course. Basically if you're coasting and then give the car gas to speed up it either hesitates or just completely dies...the car is at the dealership now and of course they have not been able to recreate the problem but it died on my daughter when she turned onto a main road just two miles from the dealership. Any suggestions? They haven't got a clue bcz the diagnostic computer can't figure it out for them. they had the car for 6 1/2 hours today.

hyundlesh
40

No, we've never figured it out. The likeliest suspects would be in the fuel system: some of the injection machinery / sensors, the fuel pump, or something having to do with the gas tank / fuel filter / fuel supply. If it's definitely affected by how full the gas tank is, the pieces near the gas tank become the prime suspects: fuel pump, filter, and anything else that would be affected by the pressure diffierence between full and empty, increased amounts of dirt, increased supply variability due to fuel sloshing, etc. I *think* that the pressure past the fuel pump should be fairly independent from your fuel levels, but I'm not a mechanic. Given how new your car is, I would be pretty surprised if there is gunk in the gas tank, or issues with the fuel filter (unless somebody put a bunch of trash in your tank). Maybe it's a problem with a fuel pump, its wiring, or electronics? I didn't bother trying to replacing the fuel pump on the 1999 Elantra because with the high cost of labor around here, the cost of the repair would be over a third of the cost of the entire car :D With respect to the various sensors, I think we ruled out the MAF and its wiring harness. Several mechanics played with some of the other sensors as well, and did not find an issue.

hyundlesh
40

Veester's answer about the fuel injectors seems like another possibility. Should be a lot less trouble than changing the fuel pump, so you could try that first :)

Kenneth Cole
150

My issue was solved. Two fuel injectors needed to be replaced and the speed sensor was causing the stalling, which eventually led to the transmission going into 'limp mode' which is how we found out the sensor was bad.

KKB44
20

Hey, we just got the 2013 Elantra Limited, which had the same exact problem. I'm her daughter. The guys at the dealership were thankfully able to recreate the problem multiple times. They found that it typically stalled when coasting straight and that the engine cuts out entirely more often when turning right and pressing the gas. They examined the fuel pump and found a crack in it. Since replacing the pump, the car has functioned perfectly fine, even after I attempted to make it stall or cut out multiple times while at a gallon of gas or less. When the gas runs low again, we will attempt to make the car stall to test that the problem is repaired. I will let you know if we find that there is still a problem.

Julia Alcala
60

I used lucas fuel injector cleaner and it worked, debri in gas tank when 1/4 of gas in tank. took a trip to NY and it ran fine last fill up was at 1/4 i think debri clogged it up again when got home it stalled, like yours. Charcoal canisters get clogged look into that as well.

Xile
0

B4 you do anything to your cars make sure you don't have gps tracker with stall meaning kill switch on it because I had reduce engine seed and my car did not wanna starts at times it would turn and turn and it would not start and when it start it would stall and turn off watch for these car financing scams and don't fall to such a victim pull that shit off.. i fix my problem with removing the gps tracker here's how. https://m.youtube.com/watch? v=jEWpb7xOAHI

03hyundai200kmiles
40

OP? Has anyone checked your cat(s) could be broken down and clogging your exhaust and affecting back pressure which "could" cause all sorts of weird acceleration and low idle problems. Your car may have 2 cats as so does my 03. "Usually" a bad cat throws a CEL though? Just a thought

hildeliza
50

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a 2014 Hyundai elantra limited and same exact thing is happening. cars pedal doesn't respond and car idles every time I get to a complete stop. the car has been at the delearship several of times and they do not have a clue of what the problem might be. I tried having Hyundai repurchased my car but they didn't, supposedly because they never duplicated the problem. at this point I don't know what to do. I need some help. please let me know if you guys were able to find the problem and get it fixed or any advise of the steps I should take. i'll really appreciate it.

Elantragd
90

Mine is 2001 elantra. Same problems. Mechanic replaced Crankshaft and camshaft sensors, but still the same problem. Now diagnosing speed sensor problems etc. I am at my limits with this car. Any help?

leaves
150

I have a 2007 Elantra that stalls occasionally when going at low speed such as preparing to turn or when going down a hill with very little or no throttle. The fuel pump and filter have been replaced. No engine light on beforehand and no codes. Temperature is not a factor. Dealer is stumped. Can you give any help?

firstHundai
20

I just purchased 2014 Elantra limited. I was on stop and go traffic on the freeway, certainly the car doesn't respond to gas pedal and the engine stopped. I was so panic, I put the gear back to park, turned off and on the car (keyless) several times then it turned on again. Is there a recall on this issue? I should purchase Toyota or Honda car instead, so disappointed in Hundai.

catalytical
10

I have a 2010 Elantra Touring GLS, standard. My car just started doing this. I was in stop&go traffic on the freeway when it started dying, but it could be restarted. When I got off the freeway and was slowing to a light it stopped entirely and would not restart. after coasting down a hill and pulling over, I got it to restart but then it hovered around 1000rpm and just DIED. It wouldn't restart at all. By the time CAA got there, it started fine and stayed running fine. It has been at the dealer for days and of course, they cannot repeat the problem. I am having them look at everything listed here and hopefully they will find the problem. I have suspected the catalytic converter since the engine/exhaust started intermittently making loud noises at high speed/revs after gas tank fill... of course they never found an issue. I will post results if they find anything out.

MrBreakit
60

2001 Elantra, same issue, Replaced speed sensors and fuel injectors, didn't solve the problem. My next step is to replace the fuel pump

MrBreakit
60

2001 Elantra, same issue. Replacing speed sensors and fuel injectors didn't solve the problem. My next step is to replace the fuel pump

bustedknuckle
10

Hey guys, always look for the simple stuff. Inspect any and all vacuum lines for cracks or a hole on the underside of the line. I helped a friend with a 2000 or 2002 Elantra and from limited memory it was the catalytic converter. The new one only came with the manifold, but it seems like it wasn't really that expensive and the bonus points: I took the old cat converter to a recycler and got about $45 bones for it. by the way, no mechanic could figure it out and no codes. This fixed it.

MrBreakit
60

Changed Catalytic converter and both O2 sensors, same problem. No cracked hoses, the only new thing is that the check engine light came on and the code translates to an open thermostat, the car is running on the cold side.

Hea422
30

I have a 2014 Hyundai Tucson which I purchased in June 2014 and I've had it in the shop since I bought it off and on. I drive in for about 30 miles and it hesitates and skips some and I leave it parked from 6:00 a.m. to 5:00p.m. and anytime I get in it and get to a traffic light it idles down like it is going to cut off and stall out. At times it revs up like it is trying to go forward with my foot on the brake. It has surged when crossing 4 lanes because of this issue as well. Anyone else have this??

Outdoorsgrl75
115

I purchased a 2002 Hyundai Elantra my issue started about 2 months ago. I would come to a stop and the car would start hesitating and sputtering and eventually stalls. Always restarted after a couple minutes. The issue got progressively worse. We changed the fuel pump assembly, fuel strainer, canister purge valve and new spark plugs. This corrected the issue for about 3 days. It started missing and progressively got worse again stalling and sputtering, always restarting until yesterday. It was having issues starting again, would start for a couple seconds and if I applied pressure on the gas pedal there was no response and it stalled the car. Start it again idled rough; step on the gas and it was like it was being choked out. Had an opposite effect when stepping on the gas, instead of the RPM increasing it decreased. Very frustrating as you just never knew when it was going to die. Now it sits, does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong with it now? Tired of sinking money into parts when it is not correcting the issue. Any advice would help. ?????

MrBreakit
60

This is driving me crazy, so far this is what I did Changed both O2 censors Changed both speed censors Changed Catalytic converter Change all four fuel injectors Changed fuel pump and filter None of the above helped, so I changed the idle controller and that made a big improvement but didn't solve the problem completely. so the issue has to do with lack of oxygen in the combustion chamber. Next and final step is to replace the vapor canister vent valve. BTW the check engine light is on complaining about the idle controller, the O2 sensor and the thermostat being stuck open.

jviequero
10

The problem is the mass air flow meter, maybe this sensor is good but you need check wires from the sensor to the pcm. I hope this help.

Benjamin Chung
60

People; I know that there are at least 5 main potential problems which cause the symptoms of the car idling rough, surging, hesitating at acceleration, stalling on stop signs and intersections, no response on pedal. 1) Usually the main culprit is a very dirty carbonized throttle plate and throttle body. 2) the idle air control valve is dirty and carbonized which intermittently blocks the electrical signal from being transmitted to the OBD computer on the car for fuel trim command....causing the computer to go into absence of signal mode intermittently...causing the engine to stall or shut down or hesitate intermittently. 3) the fuel pressure at the injector rail is below recommended settings ( the car will run fine at low speeds although slowto respond....but does not respond at higher revs....car doesn't reach high speed- again this case is most likely a fuel pressure issue.)..4) MAFS mass air flow sensor is dirty......5) vacuum leak........................................folks I'd start with these issues absent OBD 2 codes to help. -Benjamin Chung

Taffymarz
40

Also have the same problem and nothing seems to help. Now regretting ever buying a hyundai...

Hea422
30

The throttle body has been cleaned and that helped for like a week! The car seems even worse now!

Fannie Graziani
20

Interested in this as well; am going to show my mechanic but so far......I have a 2009 Hyandai Accent. Last year it began to start stalling at each acceleration and then at each light. I work overnight and drive for delivery; live in Fl. During the day, especially hot ones, it will go so badly I cant get it accelerated without fearing to blow something for the rough throttle while at night, there are very few problems until I hit a very steep hill and try to accelerate. Mechanic replaced the first ignition coil and it ran great for about 6 weeks. Now back to the same point. Looked at everything but husband also thinks it can be an electrical sensor-not certain though. Same as anyone here....any help.

MrBreakit
60

1- I removed the hose that connects the engine valve cover to the throttle body (the one after the throttle opening) that got my RPM to go up to 2000, but it fixed the stalling issue 2- I removed the engine valve cover to see if the hose plug was clogged, but it wasn't 3- I put the hose back and drilled a 3/8 inch hole in it, this reduced my RPM to 1100 and the car is running fine now. Keep in mind that my car is Elantra 2001 with 82k miles on it, the car will not pass inspection due to false check engine codes (P1515 and P0030)

Jennifer Denise
30

I have 2002 sonata and it has been doing the same thing for about a year now, and most of the time it will not star back when you press my gas pedal it just sounds like it's pumping air and dies, I believe the issue has to do with the pressure in the tank and lines because I have to fold down the back seat and remove the fuel pump cover and undo the hose with the bolt holding it in and pop the hose off to release the pressure then screw it back in, then prime the fuel pump by turning the key a couple of times and it starts up goes sometimes it may go 2 or 3 days without doing and sometimes it may happen every mile or so! i just know that it's not fun having to get out at a stoplight fold your back seat down pop the cover and remove the hose in order to get it to start and run just to get a mile up the road and have to do the same thing, not to mention getting sprayed in the face with fuel when there's to much pressure... Someone had mentioned something causing a vapor lock.. But don't have a clue as to what all could possibly cause that to happen!

MrBreakit
60

To Jennifer, did you try to open the gas tank cover? it is much easier and should have the same effect. There is a vapor valve that controls the vapor from the gas tank going into the engine, yours may be deffective, check out this link https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=5PQlQ8K2MxU Apparently there are different causes to this problem, I thought I solved mine, but I was wrong, the problem is back with the hot weather.

Jennifer Denise
30

Thanks I will definitely try that and let you know how it goes

c_lei
20

Have any of you tried replacing the air filter? If it's dirty, it would choke the flow of air to the engine.....

MrBreakit
60

Sold the car, can't afford sinking more money into it.

Outdoorsgrl75
115

I have had nothing but issues for the past 6 months. My 2002 Elantra started out by sputtering and stalling. Always starts back up again, in time. Sometimes it wouldn't start for hours. So I have replaced 1. All new plugs and wires 2. Air Filter 3. Canister Purge Valve 4. Fuel Strainer 5. Fuel Pump Assembly Now with each new part the car would run well for a few days to a week then start acting up again. So unreliable. So I replace another part 6. Crank Sensor Worked fine for the day that the part was replaced. Then the next day, I drove approx. 15km was fine. Was down to 1/4 tank of gas so stopped to get fuel; always fill to 3/4 of a tank. Once done fueling my car would not start. Tried again and it started. Leave the gas station approx. 3km down the road it starts to glide and have ZERO response with my gas pedal, there was just nothing there. The car coasted till eventually pulled over and had to restart my car. It did start, start driving again; same thing 2km down the road. This continued every 2-3 km until I made it home. So a total of 5 times stopping with no response in the gas pedal. The last time it done that before I got home I pumped my gas pedal fast did a couple little back fires and then the pedal responded and continued down the road. This is crazy, I have replaced so much and still have my car unreliable and dangerous to drive. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. I have read all comments and written down what has helped some people. I just need answers. When my car isn't being bi-polar it is great to drive!

Benjamin Chung
60

outdoorsgrl75: sputtering and stalling? Sounds like a common symptom of a dirty carbon infested throttle body and throttle plate( you'll have to remove the air hose assembly from the throttle body and buy a can of throttle body cleaner spray at the auto store and spray away until it is cleaned) 2) the idle air control valve is carbon dirty( same spray cleaning to do) 3) the car battery should be removed to reset the obd idle memory settings and then reattach the battery negative terminal ...then start car and push accelerator at about 1000 rpm for about 2 minutes with transmission in park mode...then let go of acceerator and this should relearn the idle speed to prevent further idle roughness and stalling.........finally look for vaccuum leaks....this will tend to cause car to stall and sputter.....last if it still doens't make the fix....it is most likely a ignition issue....think coils and spark plugs and ignition components distributor.....and also the fuel pressure if the car stalls only at high speeds....for better instructions check youtube : search "car stalls and sputters" or " rough idle" there are some very good directives there.....

Jenn Rodgers
0

I have a 2009 Ford Focus, and it idles really low at stops, almost to the point it wants to die but doesn't; the rpm gauge just moves up and down from 1 to below. Now, I had my car in the Ford place here for annual checkup last month, and the mechanic couldn't figure out why. So, can you tell me?? It seems like it's getting worse. Thanks, Jenn.

mtmdaughterscar
10

Our daughter's car is a 2000 hyundai elantra it started stalling thought fuel pump changed it..thought was map sensor change it..but still did same thing it was actually the PCV valve located on the side of the head can not see leak cause it was leaking inside the head causing the sensor to go off and shut down the fuel. The part was less than 10 dollars

countrynanny
20

Granddaughter has 1997 Hyundai Accent, they crank it engine idles fine, but when they put it in drive it will barely go. Like it takes 5 to 10 minutes in climb a short steep hill. It also takes a while to get it to 5 miles an hour. Help please.

Kathy Morrison
20

I have a 2005 Elantra I have only had for 2 months and it has been back to the dealer 4 times for the same issue. The first 2x's it would be going along and it would all of the sudden slam then the check engine light would come on. The got a strange code didn't know what to do so they just reset the light. 2 weeks later it happened again. They replaced an O2 it was okay for a couple of weeks and it started again. This time the check engine came on then went out but I had no power what so ever! They replaced the second O2. No no check engine light but it feels like it wants to stall out and has no power what so ever. So far it hasn't stalled out but it's scary you never know when it's going to happen. So back to the dealer we go. Not that they seem to know what they are doing. I'll check on the recall but the car seems to have been taken care of so my guess that is done. Totally at a loss on what to do with it.

Domesticlatindva
0

Hi I have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra never had any major problems with it until now. While driving it stallsfor about a Secone or two then when I accelerate it picks up, Please help I dnot want to spend money on the wrong parts.

MrBreakit
60

No one could figure out how to fix the stalling problem. Here are some of the parts I changed to no avail: Fuel pump Fuel Injectors O2 sensors Catalytic converter Speed sensors O2 regulator Spark plugs and wires. I ended up selling the car as is, the gentleman who bought it claimed that he knows how to fix it.

Lavoie
0

Hi I own a 2006 Elantra .. Get this I even called the dealer and asked if they had a recall on my car due to the issues everyone's having in the above comments and I was told no ! I replaced upper and lower oxygen sensors .. crank sensor .. The first Cadillac converter at the manifold ... It's crazy no warning lights .. Then I'll have an incident and I'll get a warning light and then out of the blue the warning light will just disappear the car is like has a mind of its own for when it wants to stall sputter and just cut out coming to a stop sign in or intersection !! like I said the same problem with a lot of the people above but different years ???? Come on we have to be able to do something .. Sounds like a huge car scam .. Feeling taken advantage of by Hyundai Elantra !!

Scott Johnson
0

Hi I also own a 2006 Elantra... Maybe this can help evaluate the issue. I ONLY drive my car to and from work. The same route every day. I have noticed that every time it begins to choke up when it reaches a temp just under the halfway mark on the gauge. If the outside temp is lower it takes longer, and I get about 10 miles but if the temp is warmer it occurs sooner within 7 miles. This makes me think it's temp related. Only I don't know what to look at. Does it act like mine in that if I shift it up to neutral that the engine works fine but when I pop it back into drive it chokes up still... until it get past that temp zone and then works ok. So is It transmission or engine? A temp sensor maybe? If it were fuel why does the issue occur at set circumstances with everyone here and not constantly? what I know of fuel pumps is that they operate constantly at the same rate. Am I wrong? Any new Ideas or solutions would be great before I start pumping more money into this thing? Thanks bunches

Pedro Alves
0

2001 elantra, its a very good and economic car but i have the same exact problem, changed a bunch of parts, and keep getting the same problem, sick of putting new parts in it. My mechanic is very good, he would fix whatever you bring him, and he could not figure this out. Last time I brought it over for the 8th time probably, he said theres a computer issue code coming up. I belive its not worth my money to look for the problem. I selling it and you should do the same be fire it gets worst 12/29/15

Lavoie
0

Hi Everyone ..OK I've tried different levels of fuel and it does seem to do it with a lower fuel...Seems is the key word Because it has happened on a full tank !" OK So then I thought maybe it has to din with the heat because it would happen it seemed when I had the heat on high . So I drove with no heat and Nope it did bit again Go to turn left not right and it stalls. I've had the stalling issue with it idiling in traffic on the highway ..Talk about stress ! I even avoid major roads so I don't cause chaos with the drivers behind me .Yes Yes it recovers but its the shock if it happening that throws me off ...Let's see I just presently had to replace the eater pump So I had the timing belt done at the same time ...It ran really good ...Then " Hello!" Back to its old game . Now I have a thought ...I think it has something to do with the gas pedal ..I'm thinking some where in there it huts something and causes a flood out?? And why hasn't anyone Video taped this happening ? I know long shot but I don't get it All these mechanics have no clue ?? They don't test drive ??? And Hyundai still sells these cars??? There has to be some recourse !!" Oh and to the reader above who said to take the fuse from the Duke pump and separate the prongs ... We tired it . And it did stop for about two weeks . I don't know ..If I wanted a mystery machine I'd hook up with Scooby Doo !!"

Lavoie
0

* Water pump *Fuel pump Sorry for the Typos!"

BSling
230

Not sure why no one has mentioned this on this thread.. Known issue with 2.0 engine in older Elantras was a deteriorating OE intake manifold gasket. This causes a vacuum leak of varying degree, which creates all kinds of hesitations, intermittent stalling, and other drive-ability issues that are mentioned in many of the posts above. As the engine warms to operating temperature, parts expand and the issues can become worse. Eventually, as was my case on my 01 Elantra, the OE intake manifold gasket deteriorates to the point of making the car almost being un-driveable. Upon removing my intake manifold and exposing the gasket, I found the gasket almost non existent in areas. It is a simple process to test for intake manifold leaks at the gasket area, and you just need to check. I believe that at least a few of the owners who have tried everything else to no avail, will find success if they investigate this very real possibility.

Fix4900
10

I have a valid answer for every person here. I have a 2002 Elantra with 165,000 miles, it was hesitating very bad, I could not get car to go at all not even 10 miles per hour, I have the best mechanic in Dallas, TX. He said, "let me check your valve cover gasket, more than likely your losing compression and thereby power" he was completely correct. I eliminated stalling and hesitation entirely, I drive 70 on highway now and car is very responsive with plenty of power. Please don't make problem complex, look at replacing your valve cover gasket which more than likely has disintegrated over time. I will bet it will eradicate every persons problem due to fact that this pattern is common in those particular cars.

BSling
230

Perhaps you misspoke & meant either the intake manifold gasket, or head gasket? Rather than affecting compression or drive-ability, A valve cover encloses the sealed, non-combustion area containing rocker covers and push rods at the top of the engine. A faulty valve cover gasket would only result in a nuisance oil leak rather than drive-ability issues. A faulty intake manifold gasket however, would affect drive-ability, mostly through loss of vacuum. Loss of compression and resulting drive-ability issues, could indicate a bad head gasket, (among other things) as it functions as a seal between the head and the engine block.

BSling
230

"let me check your valve cover gasket, more than likely your losing compression and thereby power" * Note: In my response, I only mention the head gasket while responding to this quote from the post above regarding compression. I am not suggesting a bad head gasket as a possible cause to the symptoms described by those in this thread.

Pedro Alves
0

We replaced, spark plugs and cables, full cat converter, fuel injector, gas pump and water pump all for nothing. Same problem, and the car tends to stall after it heats up. As i mentioned on my last post I sold the car to my mechanic. He needs to fix now so he can sell it. Ill let you guys know what happens.

chrisfrmvic
10

So everyone if u look on backside (firewall side) you will see a metal tube coming off of intake it is for your evap emissions control look where hose connects to canister and plug it off if this does not solve problem then your intake manifold gasket will thats why maf code is thrown because when your car heats up metal heats up well metal expands when heated then you startsucking air causing it to sputter the reason it gets worse after time is because you constantly flexingthe metal through heat on hyundais terrible gasket makes it crumble or crack get a good quality intake manifold gasket redo hosesvand watch it run like the car you want im a mechanic i own a 2000 and couldnt let it break me ive done everything in the book and this was it trust me its a cheap fix

esmehernz
0

Ok so I have a 2001 Hyundai Elantra . Have replaced battery , new fuel pump assembly and it dies when I'm accelerating or at a stop . There is no check engine light on . Took it to autozone today and scanned car . Fault code came back P0105 . Don't really know where to start . Check manifold gasket ? Speed sensors ? MAP sensors ? Bad wiring ? Fuel injectors clogged . Wow ! Help ! Please

Vermie32
0

Ok so I have been haveing the same problem, Along with not being able to fuel at the pump without it shutting off every 1/4 of a gallon or so. I have looked and looked and from what I can gather. Most of these problem have to do with the Vapor canister and those wounderful little carbon pellets. See the Gas tank vents into this and if the purge valve get clogged with them it wont open or work right. So if you change both of these it should work. I just found out the canister is a big problem(havent changed it yet) but I will now. Also I heard that is you put some kind of mesh over the port that goes into the purge valve it will keep them from getting clogged up in there.. Hope this helps I see this is a big problem with this car..

Baerdric
0

Wow, lots of possible problems on this thread. I have a 2002 Sonata that dies like described above, after 10 minutes of warming up, every time I slow down or take my foot off the gas. I have to get the list from my guy for everything we've tried, $1600 plus. Still no obd code. I've copy/pasted everything in this thread and will compare it to what I have done. This car has been taking up parking lot and costing me insurance for a year that I haven't been able to drive it. I'll be back if I get some results this time. I'm can't put much more into this.

netspider1
0

THANK YOU all! I FIXED it! I had same absolutely same troubles described in the long post of the author on the top. My car is 2006 Toyota Corolla, automatic gear, but this doesn't matter, because all symptoms were100% same. Engine stalling when stopping (yes, when stopping because of automatic gear the engine load a little bit because engine is left on idle while stopping and no adding fuel and still attached on D to the gearbox, the engine is loaded a little bit until it stopping, this is because of principe of automatic gear work. try to switch on N neutral gear when stopping and the engine calm down because no taking resistance from gear box and is fully released in complete idle, btw I have no problem with gear box, it's just a way to provoke the ill engine to hiccup for analysis), when run takes slow or no response of the pedal, acceleration is noisy, lazy, shaing, and with interruptions and hiccups, sometime car cannot accelerate at all and engine is shaking so strong about to shut down. All symptoms starting after a short drive, after 5-10km drive. When engine is cold at the beginning no problems. I tried to put additives in the fuel, clean injector additive, bit i'm not sure whether it helped something or not. Thank to some posting here I solved completely and the engine is like new :)) all problems gone My MAF (mass air flow) sensor was very dirty and with the time the computer was adding more air in the engine because the sensor have lost it sense for correct air flow. This affected the SPARK PLUGS and they got a white film on it and lost conductivity and make weak sparks. I found my COOLANT under the min level so it cause the engine to heat a bit more, just a bit more than normal, but not to overheat. And my engine oil was on min. The fuel cleaning injector additive maybe helped a little bit but i'm not sure. Changing the air filter didn't help at all. After I added good COOLANT (not water) and oil above min, the symptoms reduced on 50% but still there, just became more rarely and not so strong but still was there. Then I put a new cheap copper spark plugs for $20 and all problems gone. Engine became so quiet, acceleration is like new car, stopping is smooth. Don't forget to clean MAF sensor because more air in the engine will dirt the spark plugs with white film/slag. Thank you guys you saved me a thousand of dollars, I live in Sydney Australia, if I had gone in local service, they would have ripped me off with $$$$$ for diagnostics, unnecessary activities (problem investigation), unnecessary parts replaced and god knows what more, you can't imagine how expensive is here :D

Eddy DaviIa
0

MAF sensor is really easy to clean. That should be the first step. Otherwise, check the vapor canister. If the charcoal filter is torn, the pebbles can run into your fuel lines and obstruct gas flow soon after you start driving. It can be costly to replace, but you will know for sure if the canister is broken if you squeeze the hose lines and feel something like little stones in the line.

samaci
0

I'm having the same problem with my 2014 Elantra.. While sitting in rush hour traffic, barely moving, the car just dies... I had it in the dealership after the first few times it happened, and they couldn't find anything wrong. Now, a year later, it has happened again, twice in a month. Next time I go into the dealer, I will have them check the "Mass Air Flow Sensor", as requested by one of my mechanic friends... But its very frustrating..

John_Shaw
0

I have a 2012 hyundai sonata. Battery light , oil light , and oil light came on. Car wouldnt accelerate.restarted the car a few times to get it going. Something supposedly going on with my camshaft placement sensor B. There is A and B. I took it to hyundai dealer and they're screwing me around even though hyundai said it's covered. They currently have my car and are looking it over. They said poor oil care can cause such things even though I was anal about changing mine. I think it's one of the many faults with hyundai

Yaw Bolton
0

Guys the "mass airflow sensor" is the real culprit here...have that checked before fuel pump, injecters and other parts...happened to me before with my 04 elantra and now cars runs smooth after replace MAF sensor