the car starts up but i cant get it out of park the button on the shifter wont push in what can i do

180

Asked by Jan 26, 2013 at 04:42 PM about the 2000 Ford Focus SE

180

can anyone help me with this problem?

There is not a bypass, but if you turn the ignition just from the lock position but don't go to the point that the dash lamps come on, at this point the shift interlock will allow you to shift to neutral and other gears with foot on brake

Also: Check to see if your brake lights light up when you press the brakes. If they do, then the problem is with the actuator in the shifter. There is an actuator in the shifter that whenever you press the brakes, it's activated and allows the car to be shifted. If the brake lights don't light up, then it's probably the brake light switch.

Last resort: on the right side of your shifter there should be a small cover about the size of a penny. Use something like a pair of tweezers or a small flat head screwdriver and pop out that cover. That should expose your shift lock over ride button. Just press that button as you are trying to put the car in gear, that should allow you to put the car in gear

90

There is a way to by pass this. there is a litt;le button cover below the shifter you can pop off. Use your key or a screw driver to push in the button and it will unlock your shifter. You will have to do this every time you put it in park.

140

i am having this problem also changed the brake light switch but still nothing any suggestions

80

It starts I push the reset button for the gear shift but once you put your foot on the brake it shuts off

35

Thanks. These answers helped me. Thank you all

40

I have a transit connect 2010 I have problems shifting what can I do parking to drive I have to step on brakes lots of times

40

Can somebody help

20

Thanks, I had heard that these types of problems could occur with the shifter. Mine was stuck in 'Park.' I took the gear shift cover screw out and attempted to move it up and down. That didn't help. I put it back together and then read the reset cover. After a few attempts, it worked. I drove it around the block. I was able to shift normally ever since. Easy fix no cost! So thankful for finding this site!!!! THANKS Y'ALL!!!!

30

I have been bypassing the gear shift "safety mechanism" for weeks, using the screwdriver in the slot method. We finally scheduled an appt. at the dealer. I thought it would just need a new relay or a solenoid. I was shocked when the dealer repair "writer" said it would be $470 and that he would have to send for a new shifter assembly, and it would take two days to repair. My car has been running well for years, although I drive it very little. I've had some brake work done, but very little else. I tried to find out if there are Technical Service Bulletins put out about this "stuck in park" problem, but couldn't find one, specifically for my 2002 Ford Focus with just over 25,000 miles on it. I know it's not a fuse, as my brake lights work. I just don't trust that I need an entirely new shifter assembly, because when I bypass the shift interlock safety feature, the car shifts just fine.

50

the only way I can get mine to work is to get under the shifter cover and take the cable off the cable is keeping the plastic actuator on holding the shifter from shifting but besure to still put your foot on pedal while shifting because this is your safety lock.

50

the only way I can get mine to work is to get under the shifter cover and take the cable off the cable is keeping the plastic actuator on holding the shifter from shifting but besure to still put your foot on brake pedal while shifting because this is your safety lock.

50

the only way I can get mine to work is to get under the shifter cover and take the cable off the cable is keeping the plastic actuator on holding the shifter from shifting but besure to still put your foot on brake pedal while shifting because this is your safety lock. then it can be driven !

30

Try brake switch relay above pedal. If brake light is not lighting up this switch is the culprit. It's just above brake pedal. Cost is $23 from Amazon.

20

Both switches above brake pedal & mounted on its bracket, per bolt-ohm meter are ok. I removed both and tested w/ ohm meter. Where is solenoid located? Merc in AK