Could I have a bad voltage regulator?

Asked by Nov 21, 2014 at 10:22 AM about the 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS Sedan FWD

I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS and last night while driving home I lost all power
and the car shut off. It started with the radio turning off and on then the headlights
went out then the dashboard lights started to dim until there was no power at all. When
I turned the ignition off the hazzard lights kind of worked but they blinked slow and
dim. When I turned the key to the on position and tried to start the car there was
nothing. Had the car towed home (about 1 hour later) I noticed the dome light was
bright so I tried to start the car but all it did was click as if the battery was dead. Ok,
so I'm thinking what could be the problem. Here was what has bee replaced in the past
6 months. New Altenator, all belts and the battery is about 2 years old.

116,125

Your battery will have to be recharged first, Then have it load tested just to be sure it is good, then have the charging system checked, it sounds like the alternator failed but only testing will confirm that.

Thanks for your help!! I will have it tested at Autozone where I bought the alternator.

22,790

Autozone electronics (alternators/starts/batteries) are not very good. They will warranty their stuff but like with any electronics YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Was wondering if you ever had this problem resolved i am havin the same exact problem with same exact car.new battery and new alternator and alternator bought from auotzone.

It was the Alternator was no good. I brought the car to Autozone the next morning after charging the battery. They tested the charging system and found that the alternator was only putting out 11 volts under full load. They gave me a replacement and everything has been fine since I swamped the alternator.