can you put brake pads on a scraped rotor?

Asked by Dec 25, 2013 at 01:57 PM about the 2001 Hyundai Tiburon Base

I need brakes on the rear of a 01 tiberon.   the scraping just started a week ago. I can see the scoring on the rotor-- can I put on new pads on the old rotor--I am trying to go cheap!! what are the consequences?

75

no way you have to buy new rotors

22,945

The consequences of cheaping out on your brakes? Possible Death or dismemberment to you and/or others. Is it worth it? If you are this cheap, do the rest of us a favor: give the car to someone with the money and commitment to maintain an automobile and start riding the bus

225

If the rotors are scored deeply or have chips out of them, you need to replace them - the scoring will limit the effective area that the brake pad will have to contact the rotor and stop the vehicle, essentially limiting the braking ability of the vehicle. There are Hyundai OEM parts facilities that you can find online that can sell you the rotors at less than list prices, say $96.00 for each.. Another alternative is to look at used rotors, but those will likely be the same as the ones on your vehicle.

75

It depends if it is only one or more. If only one is bad then you can get away with just a new pad, but how long you can go on that is completely dependent on how you drive. I have one cracked front rotor and the other one is halfway through it's life and I only replaced the brake pads and I've been driving like that for 6 months because I downshift and take it very easy on my breaks.

40

You don't have to replace the rotors as long as the scoring isn't too bad. If they are cracked or wearing very thin they must be replaced. As long as the friction between the pad and the rotor will engage the anti-lock (or lock the brakes on older cars) you can't stop any faster. Warping is worse than scoring.

40

The brake pads will also soon contour themselves to the grooves in the rotors and actually increase the area of contact between the two.