PLEASE HELP!!!!! HYUNDAI TIBURON GRINDING NOISE

Asked by Oct 04, 2012 at 02:40 PM about the 2001 Hyundai Tiburon Base

I HAVE A HYUNDAI TIBURON  2001 AND IT IS MAKING A GRINDING NOISE WHEN I START IT, I ALREADY REPLACE THE STARTER 4 TIMES BUT STILL IS DOING THE  SAME GRINDING NOISE. ANY IDEA?  PLEASE HELP!!!!

220

Flywheel is bad either broken teeth or out of balance.

7,065

Yes. The flywheel is probably chipped or loose. Does it do it at low idle too or only when you start it? Also, Kewl, if you don't have anything helpful to say then don't say it. Nobody wants to see you insult other people's cars like that.

220

So nmoore I can appreciate the fact you have a Toyota with a luxury name but in the end a Toyota is Toyota you will alot of the parts between the two are identical. Yes they are good cars but why put someone else down, I thought the point was to help each other not berate or put down.

sounds like the flywheel, you might be able to take it off and move it one bolthole or switch it around to the other face.

7,065

This is supposed to be a helpful place where you give advice and positive feedback. Also, nmoore, if you want to talk about how great your Lexus is and try to sell it to everyone, you can either write a review or post it for sale. This really isn't the place for bragging.

220

Kewl is a moron yal will have to excuse him

275

I have had where manufacturer replaced the cambelt with one that where too long by 4 teeth and it threw the timing off so much that it also grinded like that. Also check the thrust bearing.

45

i own a 03 tib and cant say i have had that problem however i am a 3rd year tech and would suggest checking flywheel for damage also not 100 percent sure but some starters require spacers to keep proper gear mesh most noticeable problem would be grind when starter is engaged

10

I own an 03 tib myself. Unfortunately for us the 2003 did have a law suit against it for faulty parts including the clutch and everything that goes along with it. Could be the fly wheel or it could be the sync rows.

55

could be breaks or the e break is stuck

...It seems to me there is the possibility that the ignition switch or faulty wiring could make the starter remain engaged, continuously cranking the engine. -after the key is let-go from the CRANK position.