Is it possible to intsall an amp to factory stereo

10

Asked by May 01, 2012 at 12:43 AM about the 2001 Hyundai Tiburon Base

okay so i have a 2001 hyundai tiburon. it has the optional stereo by infinity in it and i love how it all sounds and looks... but i have 2 fosgate bazooka subs with matching amp i want to put in the car... now i was wondering.. is it possible for me to hook up the amp to the factory head unit?

oh and is there a possible way to get the through the firewall without having to drill a hole.. if not.. where is a safe place to drill one?

85

as for the first question, i do not know what radio that is in the 01, my 06 came with a kenwood radio from the factory so i could tie in my amp, not sure on yours....second, yes there is a gromet that blocks a hole through the firewall for you to run a power cord, its on the driver side near the master cylender...if you cant find it you can always poke a hole in the rubber surround the stearing shaft and push through there...hope this helps

10

@Curtis thanks! For the second part haha and about the 01 stereo, mine came with the infinity stereo system. And I looked up what it looks like in the back and it doesn't have any ports....

85

then the only way to run the RCA wires for the amp off the head unit is if the car itself has a factory amp and find a wiring diagram for it and splice into the factory wires...my advice...go to walmart, buy a $80 pioneer head unit and swap it out, much easier and better sounding as well

10

Yeah I figured lol I'm buying one this weekend. Now that gourmet that you were talking about... I can't find it anywhere. I might just have to drill. And idk where to drill. I don't wanna hit something important.

85

do NOT drill...you will have no clue whats behind the firewall and will cause damage, if you cant find the gromet then follow the steering shaft from the firewall and find the rubber boot around it...poke a hole through it and fish the wire right next to the steering shaft...if you cant find that then find your hood release cable and tag along that all the way back to under the dash if you cant find that rrun it between the fender and the door and into the dash...if you cant figure that out then run the cable under the car all the way back to the truck and through the gromet into the spare tire well...if you cant find ANY of those, you shouldnt be working on your own car, pay someone to do it

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

You just made my day with that answer haha. And okay will do. Thank you so much for all your help!

265

Just to add to iTron92's answer. Follow the fuse box inside the engine bay's wires. They will eventually go to the other fuse box inside the cab to the driver side. There should be a good spot to pull a power chord through. I also agree on the aftermarket radio. I've recently fitted a Pioneer DEH-4350UB and found that the "oranged" colour setting is exactly the same as the 06 Tiburon's interior dash colour. No amp yet though but that should follow soon. First need to do some homework on what would suit best (space vs. sound)

10

For 1st generation Tiburon all you need to do is take off the plastic in the driver's side wheel well. I just put my car up on a jack, which moved the tire out of the way enough to get the wheel well liner out. Then, on the side of the wheel well towards the back of the car, there is a large grommet with wires. Just cut into this and push the wire through. It comes out above and to the left of your brake pedal. Then just run the wire up above the plastic liner and through the grommet, very easy and clean way to wire it. If you don't want to go through the grommet, then there is lots of room to drill there too.