What does "OD Off" mean?

25

Asked by Feb 06, 2008 at 10:28 AM about the 2001 Hyundai Accent GL Sedan FWD

My car just had a light go on that reads, "OD Off". What does that mean? What can I do to make the light turn off?

270

What if the button will not go off even when pushed? Is this usually something serious or a dummy light issue?

21,085

"OD" is referring to the OverDrive function of your transmission. This is used for highway driving to conserve fuel and achieve better fuel economy. "OD Off" is telling you that the OverDrive has been turned off. This is usually done by a button on the gear shifter or a particular gear shift position marked with "OD". If you don't know where this can be found on your console reference your owners manual or call your local dealer.

110

Not really answer but to say thank you for solving my problem. I saw this light and was so worried thinking of how to send the car to a mechanic but after reading from dvigano my problem is solved completely.

110

10

Thanks for the information it was very helpful

105

When the overdrive switch is tumed on, the transaxle will automatically upshift to the second, third and overdrive gears. When the overdrive switch is tumed off, the transaxle will not upshift to the overdrive gear. For normal driving, the selector lever should be left in the "D" position and the overdrive switch tumed on. If you need to accelerate rapidly, press the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor. The transaxle will automatically shift to a lower gear, depending on the vehicle speed and load. Tum the overdrive switch on for good fuel economy and smooth driving. If engine braking is needed in the "D" range or if repeated upshifting and downshifting between the 3rd and 4th gear is needed when climbing a gentle slope, it is recommended that the overdrive switch be tumed off. Tum the overdrive switch back on immediately afterward.

20

If you turn the car off and then start it again the light will go off. Nothing wrong with your car.

10

Thanks very much for the information it helps me so much

thank you for your info

20

Merci

Thank you for the answer to my question. Wasn't sure if I could drive it or not, with the O.D. light on. Now I know what to do