My 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 bogs down when gas pedal is pushed

Asked by Sep 23, 2013 at 04:50 PM about the 2000 Ford Focus ZX3

Accelerates pretty good up to about 45 mph and then if you try to push the pedal down
any farther it starts to bog down. If i hold the pedal steady at 45 it does fine but i cant put
it down any farther without it bogging down. Even in park and neutral, you can push it so
far until it starts acting up. Please help

1,215

Get your MAF (airflow meter) checked and cleaned. It's a common fault for these to get dirty and fail in fords.

Thank you I will definitely give that a try! It started out as just a miss when you put it to the floor and eventually lead to this. Which left me thinking maybe a fuel injector?

83,155

If you had an engine miss then you may have cause a catalyst failure, an exhaust system back pressure test might revel a problem.

10

I have some helpful advice: I have a 2000 focus se sohc and was giving me a similar issue. Car would start and run great in the morning after sitting over night. I'd get a good 30-45 mins out of it before it would start acting up. I could be parked at a light for 5 mins or cruising the highway at a steady 60mph and that's when things would start. If I was parked the engine would spit and sputter and miss badly and eventually stall, on the highway if I was cruising about 60 or so and go to accelerate it would start to buck and stutter then slowly bog down and I would have to feather the pedal to keep it alive only to make it another mile or so before there was no more saving it and the engine would die. It would always start right back up and be great for about another 5 minutes before acting up again. This mostly occurred in hot weather. Another thing I had noticed is that occasionally on a sharp right turn while accelerating the car would really fall on its face. I tested and checked and cleaned and replaced everything everything, no cels nothing. Here's a list of what I replaced Maf sensor Iac valve Fuel press sensor Eye delete New cat New o2 sensors New coil, plugs, and wires New pcm with ignition and pats system, New battery due to weak cell Tested alternator Bypassed emergency fuel shut off switch Fuel pump relay (under rear seat) Cleaned throttle body Fuel filter Tested fuel pump, Checked cooling system Replaced air filter Replaced tps None of this stuff worked. The problem persisted. It drove me crazy and finally I took my snap on modis diagnostic tool to it and monitored the entire engine operating system while driving. It was showing that I had a loss of fuel pressure when the problem would arise. It would either stay at a very low pressure almost as what you would have at an idle speed or drop below that. I got sick of dealing with it and something kept telling me the fuel pump at this point since I'd checked and replaced everything else and the right turn thing really was making me wonder even tho the dealer confirmed they had done the fuel pump recall replacement for the previous owner. So I bought a new pump motor and installed it which was fairly simple. Installed the pump back in the car and drove it down the road expecting the problem to come back so I could drop it at the scrap yard but it has not come back yet. The issue here is that the pump does not trigger a dtc on the pcm when it begins to fail and you will not get regular symptoms of a bad fuel pump. You will always hear the pump turn on with the ignition and the car will start and run and the problem becomes intermittent and generally in all the other vehicles I've replaced a pump in when it goes, it goes and you won't get anything out of it. These cars are tricky and they are absolutely horrible in my opinion the engineering behind it is a joke and I recently had to replace a starter in mine as well which by any means is no simple task. I searched high and low on these forums for an answer and never could find one to help in my situation due to people never posting a correction to the issue so I'd like to be some kind of help for anyone who has been beating their head against the wall as I have. So if these symptoms describe your problem here is how to test to first rule out the fuel pump as the issue or not: If you have a capable diagnostic tool to read fuel pressures as you drive, use it. Other ways to test are to run your car down to about 1/4 tank of fuel or less and get onto a freeway with a right hand ramp and try to accelerate or give the vehicle a good bit of throttle (without crashing of course) and see if the car begins to stumble and die. If yes, then the fuel pump is the answer. I hope this post is helpful