could a automatic car starter cause your car not to start?

Asked by Jul 13, 2013 at 09:33 PM about the 2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS

My car starter I believe is the problem,  yesterday it would not start and the lights were
flashing,  disconnected the battery and let it sit for almost a hour, when the battery was
reconnected it started fine with the engine key, all night drove fine this am after driving it
and then after shopping went out to the car and it would not start again, tried the battery
disconnect did not work had to have it towed! ! Anyway I can disconnect it myself

You, it is not uncommon for this to be the case with most any aftermarket alarm and/or remote starting. Do you have the FOB for the remote starter? Is the battery strong/new? Sometimes a weak battery will not disengage the alarm /remote start system. As far as disconnecting the system, this of course can be done, but systems are different and installers can install these systems differently. You'd need to get a wiring diagram for your specific remote start system and then trace they wires to where they were connected with respect to the ignition wires under the dash.