fuel guage fuse keeps blowing what could be cause?

Asked by Apr 26, 2011 at 06:40 PM about the 2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS

I just had my girlfriend's car inspected today and they replaced the fuel guage fuse which corrected the problem for about an hour and it went again. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

3,145

Take it back and tell them to fix it right...for free. It sound like you a have a short. You quite possibly have an instrument cluster that has an internal short. They need to fix it if you took it there and they diagnosed that as the problem.

10

you obviously have a short going on. This situation can be difficult to find if you are not a patient troubleshooter. you may have a chafed wire grounding out, this is the common cause of fuses blowing.... take in consideration most all fuel level gauges work by the sensor measuring the resitance on the ground side of the circuit. As the fuel level rises or falls the value changes. This way, there is little chance of a short causing a spark which in turn would cause an explosion in the fuel tank! So you short is probably from your fuse box to the gauge itself. Not at the fuel tank. It could be a faulty gauge causing the short. All of todays cars have a dash panel made of printed circuit boards. the whole gauge panel plugs into a wiring harness that operates all that stuff,,speedo tach, temp etc. At anyrate if you do not have a good understanding of auto wiring, you'll have to have someone that does to look into this problem for you..... good luck Steve Daytona Fl