2002 Sonata starts for a few seconds and stalls.

5

Asked by Mar 12, 2015 at 10:30 AM about the 2002 Hyundai Sonata FWD

I have a 2002 Sonata that had been running rough.  I had a check engine light but
have no reader.  A mechanic advised me to change the Camshaft Position Sensor.  
The sensor connector plastic crumbled when I tried to connect the new sensor.  I
broke in to pieces and left me with just wire connector leads.  I have searched for a
month and not found a replacement connector.  I had to move the car so I attached
the wires from the broken connector and secured them with tape.  I had marked the
wires so I was sure they were on the correct leads.  However, it appears that a got the
signal wire and the 12v wire backwards as the fuse for the ECM blew.  I found a
diagram and I have traced the cam sensor wires and they are now connected correctly
(pink-ground on top, black-signal middle, black-12volt bottom).  I rechecked fuses.  
Now it runs for 5 seconds before it dies.  No check engine light.  I reset the ECM by
removing the negative battery cable and pressing the brakes for a couple minutes.  
The car still starts and then stalls after a few seconds.

1,175

i had a 2002 Sonata about 3 years ago Camshaft Position Sensor if it is not lined up right the car will think the timing is not right and shut down to help not to damage engine as for the damaged plug you can get one from junk yard and wire cap them together but if the engine is rough check mapping sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor are on the same bank if you blew the fuse for wrong connection we might have blew the mapping senor too mapping sensor controls speed and air flow of the engine if mapping sensor is not working it will act like you are not getting gas to engine have the mapping sensor tested.

20

I am having the same problem started the car after wiring cam sensor and changing Map sensor cars still starts runs for a few seconds then dies like it is out of gas still can't figure out the issue did you have any luck figuring yours out