2002 Hyundai Elantra GT OBD code P1166 and code P0133 (automatic transmission)

Asked by Jul 26, 2014 at 06:43 AM about the 2002 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback FWD

Someone on this site had a similar problem with no resolution.  I have changed the upstream oxygen sensor 4 times...two with aftermarket and two with parts from the dealer.  I have changed the downstream oxygen sensor 3 times.  I have also replaced the catalytic convertors and evaporator canister.  This code keeps coming on so I can't get the car inspected.  NOW, the dealer says the problem is bc I replaced most of these parts with aftermarket parts with my mechanic.  They said that they have to replace ALL those new parts with OEM parts AS A START then, see if it needs anything else...for a price of $2700.  What a scam!!!  I need help to figure out what is wrong with my car.

http://engine-codes.com/p1166_hyundai.html if you read that page you will see there is probably nothing wrong with the o2 sensor it's self, but caused by lack of oil change, too much oil, other things are listed.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0133 ..now THAT is 02 sensor and has NOTHING to do with transmission...look at that page ...I would have copied/pasted the specifics but it's copyrighted and they politely but very firmly ask to not do that and re-direct you as I did

Beat me to it fordnut. Lol. Check out those links he provided. There you will find possible causes and solutions for your issues.

Hey, for once! Gotta get up pretty early in the morning, literally and metaphor, Good morning D

Why would the two codes be together?? I don't know why the Hyundai dealer refuses to properly diagnose it until I replace all the aftermarket parts. I called Hyundai themselves to question the validity of the dealership's claim to replace those NEW non-OEM parts but, they backed their dealership's advice 100%. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth about Hyundai after owning one for 12 years

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2003-hyundai-elantra-cel-code- p1166 -- check this out. There is a list of things to check here. Also both have to do with same bank and fuel ratio issues. Check for vacuum leaks, exhaust manifold leaks, maf cleaning, ect.

@dandyoun Are you sure of the link? It says page not found

Yes sorry iPad issue tonight. Delete the space between (code- p). Should be (code-p) for address to work.

Had a similar issue w/ my '02 Elantra. Check Engine light had been on for a while, was told it had to do w/ oxygen sensors. Most recently the car would stall, idle at very low RPMs, and did not have much power and would sputter through turns. End result was only a clogged fuel valve, and that seems to have done the trick. A lot of these issues posted regarding older Hyundai Elantras seem to all relate back to the fuel source...good luck...

Where is the fuel valve located? Can I change it myself?