if the head gasket is blown would the car start

Asked by Apr 06, 2014 at 07:33 PM about the 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

the car got hot I had it towed and now it wont start has a new thermostat and radiator put in it steams out the radiator when I try to start it never had a problem until it got hot

39,855

Yes the car should start. Anti freeze does not get in the fuel injectors. If the engine doesn't run, how can it create steam?

34,605

Not very easily. And if a lot of the coolant got into the cylinders you could get hydro lock.

30

A car can start if the head gasket is blown, but it can also not start. It depends on how the gasket blew. Overheating of the engine can cause warpage in the block or head or both. The warpage is just enough for the gasket to give out. It can give out as a leak between cylinder and water jacket, or cylinder and oil passages, or water jacket and oil passages, or any combination of these. When the car won't start, yet you see "steam" coming out of the radiator when you try to start it, it sounds like the gasket is blown with a severe leak between the water jacket and one or more cylinders, allowing not steam, but exhaust gas to enter the water jacket. Still I have never seen this unless the engine is actually running (rough is still running). Long story. Sounds like a blown gasket. It's the same repair regardless. Have a compression test to be sure.

My explorer won't start unless a spark plug is removed or egr valve is off. Some way to get the air out. Why is that? It wont get over 2k rpm.