I have a 2002 Hyundai Accent 1.6L. I just changed the rear drums, shoes, and all of the springs. When I move the car, I can hear a noise that sounds like a spring popping. Also, my parking brake lifts up a lot more than before, but it still works. I put all of the springs on correctly, the shoes are on the right side, and the adjuster is on correctly. I did have trouble putting on the drum and had to adjust it quite a bit. I checked the rotation of the wheel and it lagged nicely. I’m not sure what this spring noise could be or if it’s normal for new springs. If you have any ideas about what the noise could be, it would be helpful.

Asked by Feb 17, 2016 at 07:10 PM about the 2002 Hyundai Accent GL

I have a 2002 Hyundai Accent 1.6L. I just changed the rear drums, shoes,
and all of the springs. When I move the car, I can hear a noise that sounds
like a spring popping. Also, my parking brake lifts up a lot more than
before, but it still works. I put all of the springs on correctly, the shoes are
on the right side, and the adjuster is on correctly. I did have trouble putting
on the drum and had to adjust it quite a bit. I checked the rotation of the
wheel and it lagged nicely. I’m not sure what this spring noise could be or if
it’s normal for new springs. If you have any ideas about what the noise
could be, it would be helpful.

3,625

It is most likely the rear control arm. This issue happened on my Elantra. I would take her into a Tire Shop and the will let you know for sure, but I am 99.9% sure that is what it is.

5,045

does the parking brake work normally? I wonder if putting on the parking brake while moving increases the sound or eliminates that sound...if it's like guy above says this will not have any effect as the rear control arms and just how the noise has appeared there~ could it be a tie-off point for the parking brake?~

3,625

The rear control arm does not have anything to do with the parking brake, I was referring to the popping spring noise. Regarding the parking brake, I would say it could be a cable issue if it wasn't tightened enough, or is worn, and has extra slack. Let me know if you've checked this and I will follow your thread closely! Best of luck!

5,045

as a mechanic found these especially troublesome, as the front rotors cannot be removed...but a "grizzly grinder" must be installed and the motor run to finish off the rotors~ otherwise one needs to remove THE AXLE to get to the brake rotors...not my favorite creature to service...also the dip-tube on the reservoir comes off...car will overheat...all because a straw fell off the cap~

57,885

What?

17,820

You can get your brakes to self adjust by going in reverse and use the emergency brake to stop the vehicle by doing this it will self adjust brake shoes the the drums. May want to do this two to three times.