Second part of original question on the towing capabilities...is it safe to tow a 4800lb dry weight Trailor and have my family in for long hauls?

Asked by Jun 25, 2012 at 11:18 PM about the 2000 Ford Explorer XLT AWD

15,370

No. Although Ford shows illustrations of towing in the owners manuel for the Explorer, I would not recommend it. First, the vehicle is top heavy with a relative short wheelbase. Secondly, places like U-Haul will not rent you any type of trailer if you are going to hook it up to an explorer.

When checking the vin codes....it seemed that the vehicle was made fir up to 6000lb max tow weight?? Am cinfused as to why this vehicle is deemed not good for towing....and of course we are completely new to the idea. We would be pulling a 25ft outback travel trailer that has a dry weight of 2800lbs....also adding 2 adults and 2 children to the mix...along with necessities. Weep have weight distribution bars as well as stabilizer bar...and electric break hook up. Have completely redone break system on vehicle, shocks all the way around ( adding air shocks to rear) some reenforcing front end work, complete tune up! And I continue to get mixed reviews on it's towing capabilities? What are the exact dangers in towing this Trailer with this vehicle??? The engine handles with ease! So must be something else? Thanks in advance for answer ;) would love to here also from anyone that has pulled a trailer with this vehicle....good or bad experiences ;)

Sorry for spelling and grammatical errors...typing on IPhone...and the travel trailer's dry weight is 4800 not 2800!

15,370

I'll relate the following. Please keep in mind I taught driving for a large metro city many years for many different vehicle types. I owned a 99 Explorer (same as yours necept newer) when Katrina made landfall. Went to three different U-Haul shops and each refused to rent a trailer for any explorer vehicle. (company policy) Went to a local trailer retailer to purchase one. Stated he would only sell me a single axel 12 foot trailer for safety reasons; adding keep it at 60 stay in the right hand lane, and give yourself lots of room to stop. Loaded the thing up with household goods, no large appliances, and set off for Oklahoma. Yep, I made it, but it wash't nice. The wheelbase on the explorer is shorter than the length of the trailer, when you take into consideration the tongue and hitch. The rear end tends to get a little wobbley in wind and bad sections of road. The center of gravity on the explorer is also high. Not good for a vehicle really not made for towing. Also, I believe the explorer for that year was build on the Ford Ranger frame. Maybe not such a good thing for at 25 footer. And, by all means, do not put the wife and kids inside the trailer while going down the road.

35

Uhaul sucks! my explorer has several mods extra leafs kyb monomax shocks all new suspension bushings and brakes, I can haul a 24' travel trailer loaded with level bars and it tows like a dream 5000lbs +

I pull a heavy 16ft trailer with my 99 Eddie Bauer awd explorer and i don't even notice it back there you all are crazy

or just plainly have no clue how to load a trailer