my 2000 ford explorer when putting it in park will pop or jump out til i hit the brake, i can get it to hold in park. what can be dunn?

Asked by Sep 09, 2015 at 03:39 PM about the 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

what makes this happen that i need to ease the brake till it stays put?

16,120

The brake must be applied to either remove the transmission from the park position or to place it in the park position. Your post seems to indicate it is operating properly. If it is not, can you be more specific or explain further.

10

It pops not allowing the park gear to hold til I have to yous the brake to stop to help it catch in park so the vehicle won't roll down hill in the parking lot. When it catches the vehicle will stay put.

16,120

Look under the dash and find the steering column. Follow it with your eyes toward the firewall. You should see a metal colored disc about the size of the opening of a coffee cup wrapped around the column. It has two torx screws 180 degrees apart holding it in place. While looking at it jiggle the shift lever and see if the plate wiggles. If it does then the screws are loose. Tighten them and see if it helps.

10

My shifting lever is a linkage to a cable going through the fire wall.

10

The only adjusting I can see will be from the transmission end of this were it hooks up by the tranny or in the tranny.

10

16,120

What I am thinking, which is a common problem, is the steering column shift rail is lose. The rail is what the cable you see is connected to. If the shift column has excessive play in it, not tight, and jiggles around excessively, this could be the cause of your problem. The shift rail is held in place inside the column. Meaning the bottom decorative kick place has to be removed along with the decorative plate covering the column inside the vehicle. Not a difficult procedure. There are two plastic bushings which hold the shift rail steady. They wear our and can cause the problem usually noticed by excessive play in the shift lever. It's difficult to explain here, but plug "Ford steering column Shift Rail repair" into the search engine on your internet and you should find several U-tube videos outlining the problem and repair. Remember, a sloppy loose shift lever feel indicates the possible problem. If the movement is sloppy, the cable does not move properly.

10

You are right. But now my ignition will not turn

10

The ignition is good, moving on to electrical. The controles that operates the back speakers and the fans in back of the console don't work. I followed the owners Manuel on getting the fan and speakers to work there's still nothing working. It may be from the wires for the exsilery plugin for extra electronic were work on and mess up blow a 30 watt fuse were there's only saposte to be a 7.2. fuse.I think a wire ma be fried. Can you help?

16,120

Look in your owners manual, it is the most accurate diagram for electric circuitry installed in your vehicle. Make sure you have ascertained the correct fuse location for the system you are trying to check. I suggest you check again as I have never seen a 7.2 amp fuse. I could be wrong, but most fuses of that vintage are 4,5,10,15,20, 25, or 30 amp. To check electrical problems you will need a multi-meter which will read 12 volts and some basic knowledge of electrical principles to begin checking.