rear axle end play [ how to adjust it ]

Asked by Nov 09, 2013 at 11:09 PM about the 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

on jacking the rear wheel up and pulling on it like testing a wheel bearing it clicks and moves out slightly.i have not done bearings on a 4x4 yet.is there adjustment to make or is it bearing renewel please.

83,305

It is normal for some in and out play for the axles, if you remove the rear end cover and remove the pin then push in the axles an axle keeper will fall out out of the groove in the end of the axle then you can remove the axle then you can replace the outer bearings and seals, make sure you check the axle itself where the bearing rides for any pitting or wear marks, if there are any replace the axle. There is no adjustment for the in and out play as it is stopped with the pin and keeper in the rear end. You can replace the bearings as preventive maintenance as it may save you from replacing an axle. So don't worry about a little end play in this type of rear end.

Best Answer

cheers tennisshoes the boy they have checking them at vtnz is not sure on the amount of play they should have ???.it makes a click when you pull it out is all.i may need a second opinion on the warrant check you think.

83,305

Yep, rear bearings are not like front bearings, the rears you check with a bar and lift and check for movement, the front you can check with a side to side check or and up down, I prefer to use the side to side myself, that way I can see if there is any wear in steering components.

83,305

I looked around and can't really find any specs on axle in and out, the closest measurements are anywhere from 25 to 80 thousandths, most everyone agrees that it is just a Ford thing.

another question on a Nissan pulsar 1991 gti.after it kicks down powering up a hill it sticks in the lower gear, some times it will come out is it a kickdown adjustment or oil being to hot please cheers??/

83,305

I'd check the kickdown adjustment first if it has one, there were a few of those that used a vacuum sensor to control kickdown, next I would have the pressures checked at a tranny shop, you could have a sticking valve internally.

sounds about right I changed the oil when away up country as it stuck on the way up there i'll check for the vacume pipe first.thanks for your help you can go practice your serve now.haha.