I have a 2000 Ford Explorer and the A/C is not working; won't blow cold air. compressor or leak?

Asked by Aug 14, 2012 at 01:14 PM about the 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

It's a vehicle I''m thinking of purchasing for 2000 dollars but the a/c is not working. The owner says she had them put freon(?) in it but thinks it leaked out....does it need a new compressor and if so how much would I have to spend to purchase one do you think? Could I even fix that on my own?

You can't legally fix it on your own, you are supposed to have a Freon recovery machine. Once you open the system up, you have to close it pretty quick or the dessicant in the dryer goes bad. Only way to tell if it needs a new compressor is to pressurize the system and test operation of the compressor. You can add several cans of R-134a with leak detector, then use a leak detector( often a blacklight) on the joints, o-rings, hoses, seals, etc to determine where the leak is. Once you have located the leak, then you can repair it. Could be anything from a bad o ring to a loose fitting, a Schraeder valve not closing, to bad seals in the compressor. Might call local auto parts store, see what a new or rebuilt compressor sells for. If it were mine I'd take it to an A/C shop and have them to the work, much faster, there is a warranty when they are done, they have the knowledge and correct tools. If it is a compressor, you can bet your bill will be at least $500, most likely higher. I just had a new compressor installed on my Lincoln, and switched over to R-134a, cost me right at $600.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Just last week had to repair my daughters 99 when the AC went out. Did the dye in the refrigerant thing and could find no leak. That told me where the leak as, in the evaporator, under the hood on the left side at the rear inside the box housing. Once I removed the housing I could see the dye everywhere. Replacement is not difficult. I assume you do not have the proper tools to pull a vacuum on the system. After replacing the defective part, bring it to a shop, have a vacuum pulled and recharged. If memory serves it takes a little less than two cans of refrigerant to recharge the system.

I like OJ's answer. I could not find a leak anywhere, the evaporator right where he said and yep dye everywhere. Took it to a shop had it fixed for under $500.00. No more headache and cold clean air!!!! Thank's oJ