I went to try and get this car smogged but was unsuccessful because of a "failed OBD system checks" -my question is what is this the Machanic is talking about and how might one go about correcting the problem? What could I check myself or diagnose myself to get this failed device and working functional one? What would I have to buy to correct this issue and about how much would it cost? Thanks for your help. ~Chad~

20

Asked by Mar 30, 2013 at 05:28 PM about the 2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS

I could upload a copy of the paperwork if
needed or any other information other than
what I've provided.... vehicle identification
number: kmhdn46d44v891036

89,695

Do you know the trouble code number? It should start with a "P" and have four numbers after it.

89,695

If you do not know the number, go to the parts store and have the codes read. Write down the number(s) and post them on this site. We will tell you what needs to be done to clear the CEL.

Must have gone to a "Check Only" smog place. I don't know about other States but Calif. has those, they do no repair. Follow tenspeed's advice

20

The codes I am getting are two of them... p2270 and p0137

89,695

They don't have "Check Only" places in NY. "failed OBD system checks" is not very descriptive. The must have a trouble code or description on the paperwork someplace. --- NY is almost as bad as California. We have yearly inspections that start with the window sticker scanned like at the store and the car's ODB port hooked to a state computer.

20

I am located in Rocklin, California so all repairs are the ROs responsibility... unfortunently... however they allow a 30 day free recheck so I don't have to pay for a second checkup

P0137 02 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank I Sensor 2)

20

P2270?

still looking...

20

What do I have to do to get this issue fixed next to taking it into a Machanic? Don't have much money and I'm pretty good with my hands... I guess any specific pointers you could suggest would be helpful... thank you

P2270 O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean Bank 1 Sensor 2..i.e.same thing. The fix? Let me take a look

I found too many opinions to know who is right. At least 3 different "fixes" I better not post something that will lead you in the wrong direction,,what I can tell you is the 02 sensor is in the exhaust stream

TS? You know this one?

Google~~~ Federal Emissions System Warranties..I have heard that emissions systems are by law must be warranted by the manufacturer for a long time, I don't recall the law

89,695

P2270 HYUNDAI - O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Lean Bank 1 Sensor 2 P0137 - O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2 --- I'm not much better DH. Both say to replace the O2 sensor and maybe a fuel injector fault. --- He could replace it if he has a socket. RockAuto has sensors for $45-$70