2005 Hyundai Sonata 2.7L Timing Belt replacement

50

Asked by Aug 24, 2015 at 06:50 PM about the 2005 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Hello I am trying to figure out how to get my timing marks to line up on the top 2 pulleys, I have the bottom one lined up with the mark but I see that my top ones are not in line with the marks, I was wondering what the best method to getting them to move to their marks would be? I also what is a good way to torque down the bottom pulley after I am done with the job I hear just putting my lowest setting on my air gun and then pressing it 3 times within a 5 second period is a pretty common method didn't know if there were any others out there.

Thanks for reading and for any assistance you can provide.

146,285

The top two gears are the cams. You will have to turn them by hand. Put a wrench or socket on the bolt on center and turn clockwise only.

146,285

As for the crank pulley the torque spec is 135 ft-lbs. Really tight. I don't know what torque that way would put on it.

50

Can I put a couple of extensions and a socket and just turn the crankshaft pulley then in order to get them lined up? I think I am on the exhaust stroke and I need to get them TDC on the Combustion stroke I was thinking of trying it that way see if one my cycle around would get them in line?

146,285

No, no. This is an interference engine. I take it the belt is already installed. If you turn it and it's off, bad news, even doing it by hand. Some valves will hit pistons

146,285

The belt is going to have to come back off...sorry. Check #1 regardless to get it on TDC combustion stroke. You can do it the old-fashion way with a screwdriver and look to see that both valves are closed on #1 when you feel the piston come up. If the exhaust valve is open when you feel the piston, you are 360° off with the crank

146,285

Not to mention you will be right back where you started.. without taking the belt off. Turn it, the top lines up then the bottom won't

50

Is there some sore of place I can go to view the procedure or something? Maybe like a site with all data or Mitchell? Cause that would be awesome lol.

50

Ok so I re read what you typed and so I need to take the belt off and just move the top 2 pulleys to there marks and then put the belt on again? What can I do to get the bottom one in line again if it is off a little bit?

146,285

Or

146,285

click for full screen

146,285

I have been looking for a step-by-step instructions for this. Can't find it anywhere. But if the bottom is aligned now, it shouldn't move. If it does, you have to turn the crank pulley until it is. And yes, you can do that on the bolt in center

50

Okay well don't hate me but I think my buddy was mistaken it apparently is a 2006 Hyundai Sonata with a 2.4L Motor and it has the Timing chain. Any suggestions on how to get those timing marks in line? I will probably be doing this project this weekend and I basically know how to take it all apart and put it back together but the thing that I am afraid of the most is getting the timing back in order and not messing it up. I know that there is a TDC mark on the crankshaft that I need to line up is it okay to just move it with a socket to the proper spot or no?

50

Anyone have any good suggestions?

10

take the belt off ,lay the belt on the top pullies ,manually line the up one at a time hold with clamp, then do other, and clamp, now do the bottom, install the belt, recheck tops should be right