Engine Light

90

Asked by Dec 07, 2015 at 10:42 AM about the 2007 Pontiac Torrent Sport

Engine Light returns after being reset.  Any idea as to what the cause, I had extensive repairs based on the Traction/Stabilitrak, gas cap, one of the cooling fans  EGR Valve and gasket, to the Evap Solenoid Valve and wire harnes?  What could be next?
Thanks
2007 Pontiac

82,135

What is the code?

104,455

The code tells you what is wrong. Evidently you have not fixed the problem.

90

Hi Rowefast and Full_Of_ Regrets, I was told that both errors were my Emission System!

82,135

Well, still a guess, usually it has to do with the purge solenoid & canister, back by the gas tank, it is all one unit, a po455 code if I remember right, means gross air leak EVAP system. There is another code po442 which usually indicates a small leak, gas cap sometimes, but just guessing here without the code. The EVAP system solenoid can be tested to see if bad. I had this on my car and once I fixed it the performance of the engine was noticeably better, and increase in gas mileage. If you are anywhere that you need emissions testing done, your car would not pass.

Best Answer Mark helpful
90

Rowefast, Since I had this vehicle I have had 3 gas caps after the original. I experience the engine light each time from the start and after the 1st cap was replaced later, (im not sure of how long without checking my records) I had that problem again. Now Just in October I had another gas cap replaced after the Septembers repairs to the other things mentioned. What I have noticed is that when I get gas and start my car I get this roaring of on-going starting and on the second try it's okay. I even change gas company thinking that it might be the gas. Your comments are very helpful! Thanks

90

I even went as far as thinking the Lojack might be interfering with the computer. The alarm constantly goes off that I had them disconnect the service however, the lojack can never be removed from the vehicle. Just a thought of possible interference.

82,135

Have that EVAP solenoid & canister checked out usually back by the gas tank, all one unit that can be replaced easy enough, also have the filler tube inspected as they can rust out. You are able to get a replacement of these also. I'm just throwing things out there that are common but a mechanic should be able to trouble shoot this. It is worth while to get fixed.

90

Rowefast your suggestion was right on time. I went to a dealer today and there were several possible findings that the 02 sensors reading erratic but no set for malfunction. however only one error message appear P0496 which they repaired as you mentioned to check, the EVAP Purge Solenoid. The other possible problem, although no code is presents is having difficulty starting the vehicles after filling the tank with fuel and that there might be a slow leak down that possibly indicate a failing fuel injector or fuel pump. I was told to wait until the engine light re appear and return. At this time the engine light is off Thanks very much for your speedy reply and reliable information. Pontiact Thanks

82,135

Thank you for the reply, When she starts to get hard starting, ya, have fuel system inspected by having the fuel pressure checked, and a bleed down test done.

90

Rowefast You are welcome! Last evening I put fuel in the tank, but slowly, and afterwards I was able to start the car on the first try. And my engine light no longer illuminates. Thanks you for listening and offering suggestions. I will keep what you said about the fuel system inspected when that need comes. I print and save all notes. A now, Happy Pontiact

82,135

Thats what we like!!!