90 Prelude - battery light on 2 days, S3 flashes off & on - lost dashboard gauges & dim lites

Asked by Mar 18, 2014 at 04:31 PM about the 1990 Honda Prelude 2 Dr S Coupe

this a.m. I accelerated on a slight incline & the car felt like it slipped into Neutral & had
almost no power...headlites r dim at nite, and weird thing - I turned my turn signal on, lost
power to radio & dashboard lites went super dim, once signal clicked off I got all the power
back, but really weak.
so where do I start to solve the issue? i thought maybe the alternator

232,625

Battery light on is usually a faulty alternator. What is your voltage across the battery when the car is on? Should be 14V. Have the alternator tested.

thanks. I had charged the battery, let it run for a bit & then took the positive cable off the battery & the car died..so wouldnt that mean the battery is pooched?? should I check the water in the battery as well? I am taking it (hopefully make it) 2day to get checked out - dont really wanna sink anymore money into it, but cant afford another ride right now

6,015

no that means your alt is bad, that is if the prelude is a car that can run on the alt, I cant remember if its one that can or not, take the car to advance auto and they will test your battery and alt for free