how do you tell an Si model v tech?

40

Asked by Jun 02, 2011 at 01:09 AM about the 1991 Honda Prelude 2 Dr 2.0 Si Coupe

I have just bought a 1991v tech prelude..silver with vtech writing on the side and sunroof..is this an Si model? cheers

4,615

i have never heard of any vtech with the "vtech" on the sunroof..the only way i can think of is to check under the hood. most vtech engines should say "vtech" on the engine( valve cover). as far as if its an "si" or not, i couldn't tell you, sorry!

40

read it"JONATHAN" has a sunroof and writing on the side..anyway it has an H22a engine so I guess its an Si model..factory writing on the side says double overhead cam-Programmed Fuel Injection

85

it depends on alot what engine size? 2.2l or 2.3l? the title would tell you if its a si or not and dude its vtec and no h so as mine is a true (us model) 94 prelude si with a 2.3 l non vtec they are great cars irriguardless of the sub model the sunroof doesnt matter on the si it was somewhat standard equipment good luck and keep us informed

40

Thanks Doug..H22a engine puts out 197hp..its surely all I need..cheers all

45

If yours is a 2.0, it won't be a Vtec (no such thing as a Vtech!). Have a look at the VIN number in the engine bay, if it has H22Asomething, then it should be a 2.2 DOHC Vtec, you should also be able to tell by the cam/rocker cover, which will have Vtec on it. I suspect yours will have F20something on the VIN, in which case it will be a 2.0 model, SOHC non vetc. Si models also normally have a sticker on body where the door shuts that says Si. Hope this helps.

40

nope its a real one cheers guys

40

h22a plus the writing on the door

15

If u have a vtec solonoid its probally got vtec

15

1991 models did not come with Vtech,these came on 93 Preludes and up.Unless somebody put a 2.2 Vtech engine.Probably you have a 2.1 SI model,but never Vtech.

25

Just since no one pointed this out at all.. the picture is in fact the generation after 91.. So odds are it is an h22 vtec..

15

It is a 4th generation so it can't be a 91,even more not even a 92,VTec engines on Preludes came on 93,so my guess it is a car either with European or Canadian production.

5

Just jump in an drive it. Take it into the upper rev range under full throttle. If it feels like it gets a boost of power at say 5K-6K RPM that's the VTEC doing it's job and changing the valve timing. Very noticable on the S2000 F20C at 6.5K RPM and Integra Type R K20A at 6K RPM

4,615

hey why are you being a dbag? it clearly says "with vtech writing on the side and sunroof" does not say has a sunroof...so maybe you need to learn how to read...asshole

40

sold it although it was fast it wasnt my thing..I bought this...1949 car cheers guys

25

Coulda sworn VTEC came in 92 with the body change..

I just bought a 1995 Honda Prelude 5 speed with a 2.3L Engine. I'm not sure if it's vtec, how can I know for sure? Thanks.

180

IV got one with the H23 and rod knock if anyone wants one to rebuild. I'll. Be slapping in an F22 vtech and selling the car. The all wheel steering is pretty cool. Car almost crabwalks between lanes on the freeway. Tonyotool@gmail.com hit me up